• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitetail rut was funny this year.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylinewatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The whitetail rut was funny this year. By funny, I mean the animals acted weird in my neck of the woods. They didn't act the same as usual, to me. What say you men? Did they act any different in your state?

I dunno. Ours started around the right time, but I sensed something different this year. Its still going on like usual, but different some how. Just wondering about evrybody else. We did have a big snow that hung on for a couple weeks. That may have made them act funny. Started them to yard up some I'd guess.

Ohio had one of the biggest acorn crops in memory. Deer movement was noticeably less then normal, deer didn't have to go far for food. Rut also seemed a little later then normal.

In my part of Ohio(west central), it is probably the most normal I had seen in years. Recent years past, it seemed as if the rut never really hit with a fever pitch. This year, for me anyhow, it was awesome. Bucks running and does were flirting, it was a great time to be in the woods. The only thing I didn't see was the usual amount of scrapes,they seemed to be down in numbers. But the visual activity was higher.

Their were so few deer here I don't even know when the rut was. :( SAD state of affairs :barf: Larry

I saw the largest buck of the season chasing a doe round and round on a paved road at 12:00 noon this past Sunday.
He had the look in his eyes like he wasn't going to be turned down.:nono: :nono:

Hadn't been much of a rut where I hunt in Shawnee National Forest...Southern Illinois, in the last couple of yrs. Deer population is way down around here and getting worse for the last 5yrs.

I saw one shooter buck this yr. and missed it with my .58cal. It was an 8 or 10pt'er or so and came in to about 35yds and smelled me, turned around to go back the other way and I tried to shoot it behind it's shoulders down on the back and missed. I did pass on some does and small bucks so could have had some meat.

Only saw one decent buck during bow season..went back to hunting with recurve this yr. and it saw me first...not going to say how many does I shot over with that recurve.

I used to use a recurve, I'm now using a longbow. I like them both. My recurve belonged to my uncle who left it to me. It is very old so I retired it as not to risk a crack. I still treat the wood and string. I string it every now and then, to flex it. I know what you mean they have ducked several of my arrows. They will jump'em too!

Problem Child, If you could speak deer you may have heard that ol' buck yelling, "Pay no never mind to what your momma said, come here I just want to talk!" :rotf:

Hoyt and Larry wv, I hope the fawns drop real good for you next year to get your populations back. However Hoyt, it speaks volumes for your ability to bump noses with a buck during a low pop. year. When I bump noses with one I am just as happy as if I'd bagged him. Congratulations!

Dave K, man I'm happy for you, I hope next year is just as good or better!

Hoyt and Larry wv you put me in my place. I was just sensing something strang, but we ain't having population problems that I can tell. I guess I
just needed to shut up hunt. Seasons out now. So, I'm going to start eyeballing tree rats hard. :grin:

As soon as November 1 came the rut started really getting heavy. One evening in archery season I saw 9 deer and 7 of those were small bucks chasing does. Then in gun season the first evening about a 130 in. 9 point came out into the field following a doe but I decided I was going to hold out for something bigger. I don't know if the rust was heavy or not this year or if it was that I almost hunted every day :idunno: :shocked2:.

Back