• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitneyville or 3rd Model Dragoon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manbat

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have three remaining gaps to fill in my military-issued side arm collection and one is the Dragoon. My preference is either the Whitneyville as the transition from the Walker that helped establish Colt and the models that followed with the military or the 3rd model which was the most widely owned/sold particularly to fulfill government contracts.

The question is - which model is a better representation of the Dragoon from a historical perspective?

I prefer the 1st or 2nd model. I have a 1st model and the only thing difference from the second is the oval notches in the cylinder. In the replicas, the Italians didn't bother to use the V spring in the first model. I looked for a Whitneyville but not been able to find one. The Whitneyville has the oval notches and the grips like the Walker. I used to have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd models.

Back