• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who drew a Colorado MZ tag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My hunting partner and I drew elk tags. Looking forward to hunting wapiti with a smokepole this year. I burnt 2 points for my bull tag. How about the rest of you?

My second choice was a Cow tag and thats what I got, I just hope fuel prices are not at a all time high when I depart.

$4 per gallon gas is going to put the hurt of many of us this year. Congrats on drawing your cow tag.

Have often thought 20 a good choice for a late season left over but never bought in. Maybe this year! OTOH, there is always the chance of a few left over statewide ml tags that will let me bow hunt deer and ml hunt elk in the same unit.

Decisions, decisions!! :haha:

Got a cow tag and a doe tag,and my cousin got a cow tag.It's his first ML hunt.

20 is a very good elk unit if you can stand a lot of company in early seasons. it is close to where i live and for a 'quicky' when kids don't need me. on top of that, there are a lot of period correct dressed people from boulder all the time, so showing up with knife and ml guns does not disturb anybody. :wink:

Wife and I got muzzleloader cow and doe tags.
I have eleven Bull points and six buck points.
females IMHO eat better but soon, next year or so I'm gonna cash in on my antler tags and take a fall off from guiding and live in the woods just for me and tag a big un with said flintlock.
I told my wife sorry hun but it's gonna take at least a month of scouting, finding, hunting a monster so "bear" with me.
She a good one and understands.
Also the little one will be closer to five and be able to hang in camp.
:thumbsup:

All that company is what bothers me! Some very strange company to boot. :haha:

Still, 20 is a candidate for me since I live in Arvada and it's pretty easy for me to get to as well.

i saw the reduction in deer licenses, it was a very bad winter in your parts and it makes sense. good luck on your 'group' hunts.

Congrats to all the lucky ones. My hunting buddy and I failed for deer and elk for the first time in many years. I did, however, get a sharp stick permit for pronghorn as my fourth choice this year. Will be sending arrows downrange the next few months. DOW will have me visiting on July 24, hoping for a leftover ML license. If unsuccessful there, I'll join the CF guys with a .54.

I didn't get an elk ml tag for the first time in 14 years, but did get a buck tag. Same thing with one of my boys, no elk, but he got a buck tag. My other son who is hunting this year drew a bull tag, but no deer. No telling if he's got time to hunt because he's playing high school football this year, in addition to basketball.

Area 20 has some very good Elk in it, Early season is better as they will stay up high and on public land, later in the season when the snow flies they head down and on mostly privite land.

Rainbow lakes campground is a good place to start, the Boulder County Water Shed holds lots of the Elk when there pressured so any way in or out is a good bet of ambush. The area south west of 4th of July campground is also a good bet, up high around the small lakes, I have been hunting that area for over 20years, My son has a Archery Elk tag I think for 20 this year.

I got my late season cow tag in modern rifle, areas 3 & 301. Now the regs allow me to use anything upto modern my choice for that area (Craig - Maybelle) has always been 300 Win or 30.06....However, this year I am also taking my GPR .50 Flint and my T/C White Mountain .50. If the herds are full, I may just try my first BP shot at a cow.

Thanks for the tips on 20 fullstock. It's an interesting situation when a guy who lives 2000 miles away from an area can give some good tips to a guy who lives 50 miles away :haha:

Might take a look up there after the left over list comes out.

I got my late season cow tag in modern rifle, areas 3 & 301. Now the regs allow me to use anything upto modern my choice for that area (Craig - Maybelle) has always been 300 Win or 30.06....However, this year I am also taking my GPR .50 Flint and my T/C White Mountain .50. If the herds are full, I may just try my first BP shot at a cow.

My hats off to you if you can take an elk in that sage country with your ml. Hope you do it! :hatsoff:

I currently live in the PNW however I have 11 acres near Hartsel up behind Pikes Peak Nat Forest and I am surrounded by several food groups in that area . Buffalo, turkey, deer, ELK, bear, and Coors er Coors light (watching my figure). I am hopefully building in the next year or so and can shift to a resident tag and go for a bull Elk. BUT all things in thier own time. As for the shot, it has to be just right or a no go.

I am surrounded by several food groups in that area . Buffalo, turkey, deer, ELK, bear, and Coors er Coors light

OOps! you left out the Rainbow, Cutthroat and Brown Trout food group :haha:

Back