• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was deer hunting today and found a hog wallow and a rub tree. I am using my t/c hawken percussion .50. The load is a .490 rb, 70gr FFFg Goex with .015 pt with moose snot. My intent was not hog hunting, so I am wondering if this load is enough for a large hog (200lb+). I would like to hear some thoughts from the more experienced hunters on here.

It would depend on shot placement and how close you were for retained energy. Shoulders are heavily armoured. I would look for a good heart/lung shot. Just my :2

Should be plenty power, shot placement is critical. How far is the shot going to be? I would not shoot a hog over 200 lbs. I hear that over that the meat ain't good to eat espesialy (sp)? if it's a boar. If it's a boar I might shoot him if I can see if he's got a good set of tusks on him.

From the area I will be hunting the shot will most likely be within 30 yards or less, although there is a rare possibility that I could shoot out to 50(I wont take the shot)

Be sure to do some research on where the vitals are on a pig, as they are situated differently than on a deer. The lungs are smaller and do not extend back as far as they do on a deer, etc. Do a google search and you'll find some graphics and even photos of shot pigs.

Some folks favor an ear-brain or neck-spine shot for pigs. Whichever you choose, remember that the vital area is small and demands a well-placed shot.

Ditto on pigs being chancy in terms of eatability once they get over 200 lbs. It depends on what they have been eating and other factors besides just weight, however. The best pig I have shot and eaten so far was a boar over 200 lbs. The meat is full-flavored but not rank, and it even has a tang of ginger to it!

Some people who shoot larger pigs smoke the whole thing or make sausage out of it, which adds enough flavor to counter whatever gaminess it may originally have.

Good luck with your pig hunt! I'll be heading out with my GPR next weekend for a similar pursuit, and will report back if I am successful.

I am hoping to encounter some smaller pigs, but from the size of some of the tracks I foung there is at least one hoss in the bunch. I have studied the anatomy of hogs so i am prepared for shot placement(If I can keep my heart in my chest and my underwear clean :redface: ) I am going to try and put some meat on the table with the Hawken and the round ball.

If it's a bunch of small tracks and one or two sets of big tracks then the big ones are probably sows. They'll be fine to eat, assuming they haven't been sucked down to skin and bones by the piglets.

The big boars are fine to eat too. Use an ear shot to drop them quick (keeps their system from loading them up with adrenalin and hormones) and then do a brine soak for the meat. Tastes fine.

Back