• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wiley squirrels.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies and gents still recovering from a bad cold bug I had to venture out on a short hunt. You see, I got me a new gun!

A Manton reproduction by Artax!

I have had little time with it and short of checking it over just shot it a few times. Once with a rifled slug and it struck what I was aiming at! A .690"ball and that was in the zone :shocked2: (38 steps).
Not even patterned it or checked where it shoots with shot, been tooo ill!

Today I put the sneak in on to savages, one tried to work his way around me to attack from behind but I was on to him, well her actually but they are the worst kind right!

Here is the photo.

If any of you historian types can fill in the gap between any original and this repro that would be good :hatsoff:

The niggles are as follows;
They stock may need thinning for my fat face.
The inletting is a little crude and there is macheining marks on the barrel.

The lock is superb though and fast, kind to flint too.

Waduya think?

B.

I'm glad to see you up and about and able to take nourishment, Brits. I'd say the early test of your new gun was a success, and from the description at the site it seems one which will serve you well for your stalking.

Spence

Glad to see you "up and at 'em" Brit'!!! :thumbsup:

I'd say a short hunt is. the medicinal equivalent of several gallons of chicken soup. :hmm:

She's a fine looking gun. Nothing like a flinter that has a quick lock. :thumbsup:

I have to say that these squirrels, both here and abroad, are amassing quite the reputation. Wiley, cagey, even dangerous is how they are now described.

Must be an evolutionary thing as they used to be quite harmless, if not dim-witted. :haha:

Thanks for sharing your hunt friend. Feeling better now, aren't you?

Best regards, Skychief

:bow: Congratulations Brit for escaping with your hide, that one on top, the female, (they are the most dangerous and ferocious), looks especially menacing. That is a fine looking fowler with nice wood. Glad you are feeling better. Keep yer powder dry........robin

Last edited by a moderator:
Good shooting Brit!How did you get the cold I had last week the whole way over there? :)

Skychief said:
I have to say that these squirrels, both here and abroad, are amassing quite the reputation. Wiley, cagey, even dangerous is how they are now described.

Must be an evolutionary thing as they used to be quite harmless, if not dim-witted. :haha:
Ever hear of parallel evolution? It's sometimes called the evolutionary arms race. It's a neat thing, and as a result of it there are a few real He-Men like Brits and me capable of keeping the unevolved safe from the ferocious little beasts. You are welcome. :grin:

Spence

George said:
Skychief said:

Ever hear of parallel evolution? It's sometimes called the evolutionary arms race. It's a neat thing, and as a result of it there are a few real He-Men like Brits and me capable of keeping the unevolved safe from the ferocious little beasts. You are welcome. :grin:

Spence

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Whoa now partner! Wait a cotton pickin' minute!!! Need I remind you that I've been doing my part as well?

I want to be in the He-Man squirrel posse club too! :nono:

With the help of the fine folk on this site, like Britsmoothy, yourself, and many others, we will whip this parallel evolution thing right into shape. I think that's a good thing (is it a good thing? :idunno: ).

At any rate, I'll be out there taking the risks necessary. :haha:

Best regards, Skychief

George said:
Skychief said:

Spence
Lol :haha: :hatsoff:

Back