• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Will I be happy with a Crocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alwaysshootin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been lurking for a couple months. I enjoy all your imput on one of my favorite pastimes. I would like to ask you all your opinion on the Crocket 32 squirrel rifle. I have read all that I can about it and was wondering if purchaseing one will be worthwile. It would have to be able to hold atleast a one inch or better group at twentyfive yards, and hopefully out to 50 yards. If thats not easily doable, than I probally wouldn't be very pleased with the rifle. Your feedback and experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Allwaysshootin

Some people seem to have had some problems with them but the 2 i had were both real good shooters. They were very accurate and i didn't have any problems to speak of. Mine would shoot 5 shots touching at 25 yds and 1"-1 1/4" at 50 yds. I killed a coyote with one of them at over 150 (paced off) yds so that little .32 rd ball has more energy than you would think.

All the Crocket squirrel rifles I have shot have been very accurate out to 50 yards. If the shooter is capable of shooting 1" groups at 50 yards the Crocket will do its part once you find what it likes as far as a load. My 32 muzzleloader is capable of taking rabbits with head shots at 50 yards offhand with absolutely not problem. It is like it has 'heat seaking round balls' :rotf: ...I have never missed with that gun.

Good luck!

I have not shot a Crocket, but if its the gun I ram thinking of, the stock seems to have quite a bit of drop. I would find someone who has one and try it before buying.

The stock MAY not fit you well, meaning it may be difficult to get down on the stock to properly align the sights.

If the one you are looking at one in a store, shoulder the rifle with your eyes closed, then open them and see how close the sights are to alignment. If you have to bend, twist, or in some way contort your neck and head in an uncomfortable way to align the sights, this gun is not for you.

The same goes for any gun, not just the Crocket.
J.D.

you should be able to shoot under an inch at 25. i love mine. the only downside is the tendancy to grab patches in the chamber. it seems not all do it. economical to shoot too.

alwaysshootin said:
I have been lurking for a couple months. I enjoy all your imput on one of my favorite pastimes. I would like to ask you all your opinion on the Crocket 32 squirrel rifle. I have read all that I can about it and was wondering if purchaseing one will be worthwile. It would have to be able to hold atleast a one inch or better group at twentyfive yards, and hopefully out to 50 yards. If thats not easily doable, than I probally wouldn't be very pleased with the rifle. Your feedback and experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Allwaysshootin

I do not have any experience with the Crockett rifle .. but I will state that most problems with accuracy start with the shooter, and MOST guns will shoot better than the average shooter. :shocked2:

So frankly I would consider my own abilities first, can YOU do 1 inch at 25-50 yards? Sometimes I can ... sometimes not .. but I can dream cant I? :grin:

Now flinters are a another story entirely! :shocked2:

Davy

My only problem with mine is it could have been made a bit better than it was. It is a beautiful rifle and is scary accurate. It just has a few quality control issues that bug me but not enough to send it back.

I am worried if I send it in to get the little problems fixed it may come back without the exellent stock it came with. The wood has a great striping in it I have never seen I know it is a cheap hardwood but I love it.

I would turn around tomorrow knowing what I bought and fork over the same $280 again.

Buy it you will be happy.

DSCF0380.jpg

The bottom rifle is a Crockett in case anyone had not seen one before.

Rebel you post one more time how I got ripped $20 and I'm tracking you down :haha:

I paid what I did from the "Rifle Shop" at the time they were ten bucks cheaper than Kittery Trading Post. I did get a good deal on all the acutriments I needed at the same time I bought the rifle though.

I needed all the .32cal possibles and got them 10% off for buying the rifle.

The price I saw at Midsouth was 270.22. I forgot to mention that I shoot lefthanded, not that it matters, I guess? I would like to thank you all fir yer positive responses about the Crocket,

I was wanting a lefthanded version in 32 or 36 cal for squirrel, but the thought of more than twice the Crocket money for one extinguished that thought.

Pitsburghunter, thank you for the pic. That is one good looking rifle. You all have sold me on a crocket! Thanks again.

A 20 buck increase in a year :shocked2:! I had better hurry up and order one. If I wait, at that kind of increase it will be over 300 bucks next year :grin:!

Hey always, I'm a lefty and it is no big deal with percussion sidelocks at all. To be honest with you I have handled some made for us lefties and they feel awkward to me. The Crockett has no cast off and no Monti raised stock so except for where the hammer is it does not matter at all.

With all my sidelocks I don't mind reaching over to cock the hammer, It affects nothing.

Don't think the butt drop is any more than some schools of Penn. rifles. The Crockett, the Dixie .32 Moutain rifle, or the T/C Cherokee are all good shooters. The two latter guns are available on the auction sites or The Gun Works, just to name a couple options. Most standard rifles do well with about 25 grains of FFFg while the T/C Cherokees, with their tighter rifling twist, get good accuracy with as little as 10 grains. They're all tough on critters.

Well I shuffled my feet and lost out on a heckofa deal! Track of the Wolf had a Crockett for 239.00 and I was going to order it along with some balls and patches when I got home this mornin. Went there first thing and sale pending. Guess I'll be huntin squirrels with my 22 again this year!

Thanks again all!

Back