• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wind and primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomcurt

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Er..I am new at this in that I have not as yet bought my muzzle[url] loader...in[/url] fact, I was going to buy a percussion but after thinking...and thinking...and thinking I have made up my mind to get a flint one instead. Now, for the question...I will be moving to WY in a couple of months..Wy = Wind. A lot of wind. Will there be a problem with the primer powder being blown out of the pan? If so..how does one handle that?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Curt

Last edited by a moderator:
We have high wind in new england also,turn your body down wind, raise your rifle up and in against your lower chest,prime your pan,close the frizzen . Note, after you installed the main charge, don't forget to wipe flint,frizzen and pick the vent hole. A well made lock when loaded will fire upside down, thus windproof. :m2c:

.... and what, in your opinion is "a well-made lock"?
And - what would be a poorly made lock? Are we talking brands or styles? Inquiring minds .....and newbies to flinting want to know.

IM jaybe :thumbsup:

My lock I think a davis will hold a cigarette paper suppose to be waterproof it is sometmes it is a fast lock it is on a ozark MT 54 cal My best shot with it was shooting a kitchen match at a shoot Dilly

Those Ozark Mtn Arms guns are sure built nice, I have a .50 percussion. Very nice indeed. I've never seen a Ozark flinter. What lenght barrel do you have on it?

Back