• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Women's Lib gone too far???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Today was the opening day of Illinois Firearm deer season so I spent the whole day out in the woods with my flintlock. Saw 8 deer, all but 3 of which offered a shot, but I didn't shoot any. I was hoping to get a crack at a big buck...

So, there I was, right about 11:00 am, sitting at the base of a tree overlooking a likely deer trail in one of the draws, getting ready to eat my lunch. From the other side of a little rise I heard a rustle in the leaves that sounded like a deer coming my way. All thoughts of lunch were postponed as I got into a shooting position and brought the flinter to full-cock.
Up over the rise comes a smallish buck, the only buck I saw all day, on a trail that lead right past me at about 6 or 7 yards. It wasn't the buck I was after so I lowered my rifle back across my knees.
He was in a hurry! It didn't take me long to figger out why either. Right on his heels was a mature doe CHASING HIM! :shocked2:
Now, it IS the peak of the rut here, and I know deer are likely to do some strange things during the rut, but I've NEVER seen a doe chasing a buck before!
Has the women's lib thing got out of hand? :haha:

she has not learned her place yet..... {did i just say that outloud? hope my wife did not hear lol}

I've seen it when mom was chasing off her young male offspring during the rut. The little guys are nonetheless interested, but mom will lend a hand to the bigger bucks in running off that year's male offspring.

That's Sitka blacktail BTW, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true for others.

mom will lend a hand to the bigger bucks in running off that year's male offspring.

Well, yeah, I've seen 'em run off their button buck offspring. That wasn't the case here. This buck was either a 1 1/2 year old with a real good rack or a 2 1/2 year old with a smallish rack.

I've seen big dominant Does put some young bucks in their place. Not seen it on a racked buck but seen spikes and fork horns learn a lesson or two before. When they don't hesitate to stand on their rear legs and box em, those young boys run off quick. :haha:

:rotf:

That was funny!
Strange things happen in the woods. :grin:

Thats funny I saw a deer chasing another deer yesterday afternoon just before dark. They were along way of in some cutover timber and I just caught a quick look at them. They were way to far away for these old eyes to put horns on the chaser. This morning I had 3 does feed in to my stand around 0745,all the sudden here comes another deer head down and neck streched out. In an instant the chase was on,I still could not put horns on the deer and he was only 45 yards away. About 15 min. later I hear something behind my stand as I looked back I could see a deer coming towards my stand.This time he walks within 10 yards of the tree I'm in and I'm looking down on him his horns were just barely through the skin.I'm almost positive it was the same deer that just chased the Doe off. I've never seen a deer this young chasing a Doe before. :youcrazy: :idunno:

Up over the rise comes a smallish buck, the only buck I saw all day, on a trail that lead right past me at about 6 or 7 yards. It wasn't the buck I was after so I lowered my rifle back across my knees.
He was in a hurry! It didn't take me long to figger out why either. Right on his heels was a mature doe CHASING HIM!

"And when your Father gets home HE's gonna whomp your arse, too!"

Maybe they had "Happy Time" and she told him she was pregnant and he got scared and was runnin for the hills. And she was like your going to the Maury Show cuz u is the babies daddy..

I saw a big doe head-but a little buck a few years ago when he wouldn't leave her alone. I cracked up.

I was hunting last night had a doe 25 yards grazing for 40 minutes as dark came. I could not get a clear shot at this range. I was cold I made some buck grunt She kept eating. Next I stood up and simply aimed still dumb as a box of rocks. I lowered the weapon with the haul line climbed out of the stand and she came over to see me and could not figure out what I was behind a tree abot 15-20 feet away. I made some grunt noise and stomped she moved about 10 feet and kept looking again so I stomped again and grunted finally she came into the timber and left me alone. What I am getting at is it appears when does are in heat they get as dumb as bucks now we have equality? This experience was more meaningful than if I had harvested this doe. If I see her again I may shoot her if I get a clear shot next time.

:haha: That buck was lucky it was a doe chasing him. Some year back, my friend and I witness a big 10 pt-er chasing a small 6 pt-er around a small field and the big buck didn't act like he wanted to spare as much as he wanted to spoon with the small buck. :rotf:

Back