• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wonder Lube 1000.T/C Natural Lube 1000+

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As ah were a wanderin around the web ah come across the question of how ye would make yer own Wander Lube.
One answer were given what makes some sense to me. It wer a sayin it made from 70%Crisco, 20% Olive Oil and 10 % beeswax with jus a little good smellum added ta make it smell good.

What do ye think? Anyone on this forum tried this mixture?

I'm thinking 50% Crisco, 25% Beeswax, 15% Ben Gay and 10% olive oil. Add two drops of oil of cloves and a pinch of Old Bay seasoning. Serve chilled with a twist of lime.

(I was going to suggest some K-Y Jelly to prevent stuck balls, but this is a family site).

Hey! Two of my brain cells just collided. I fly R/C model aircraft and we use 18% +/- castor oil in the alcohol/nitromethane fuel as it does not burn or breakdown under the heat and pressure of combustion, and remains stable to lubricate the piston and rings (and needs to be cleaned off the planes with Windex or similar). Doesn't that sound like the ideal oil to use for concocting a patch lube?

Ah'm a thinnen the Nitromethane might add a lil Uuumph ta the load at might set yer beard on farr.

Next thin I know thar a goin'a be talkin Nitrous Oxide 'n a barrieing it from some low riders.
grin.gif

Oh! Ah guess he's a talkin bout the Castor ull. I thin I'll vote fur the Olive ull cousen it tastes better iffen ye decide ta lick yur patches.
That Castor ull will give ye the green apple quick step iffen ah recall correctly.

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
I was going to suggest some K-Y Jelly...At least Kentucky Jelly is water soluble, so I hear...
rolleyes.gif

Clean up would be a breeze...

Ahm a thinnen that K-Y Jelly ain't too good fur yer hands. Fact is, it might be downright harmful!
Did ye ever notice that when yer doctor was a usin that stuff he always puts on a rubber glove furst?
grin.gif

Ye didn't thin he was a doin' that ta protect ye from the dirt under his fingernail did ye? Ahm a bettin he don't put on no rubber gloves when he's a guttin some deer he just shot so's he sure ain't real concerned about a pokin his finger into places what might get somethin on him.

No, it are the K-Y Jelly he's a feared of!

Ah am concerned tho cous he don't put no rubber pro-tection on me whar he's a pokin it.
Now that ah thin about it, that might explain the burnin feelin I get "whar the sun don't shine" whan ah'm a payin his bill!

Ah thin we'uns best leave that stuf ta the professionals whats trained in whar to stick it.

Ah's just a lookin at Stumpkillers list o stuff he'd be a puttin into his WonderLube 1000 mix an Ah'm a quotin: "I'm thinking 50% Crisco, 25% Beeswax, 15% Ben Gay and 10% olive oil".

Now ah don't want ta be critical but ah'm a lookin at a brand new tube o Natural Lube 1000+ which we all know is the same stuff as Wonder Lube an it says "ALL INGREDIENTS ARE FOOD GRADE RATED".

Now who the hell eats Ben Gay????? Maybe "Gay" Ben eats it ta sooth his aches an pains but shur ain't gonna be me what's eatin it!!

(Ye ever notice how the real old stuff what's been around fer years is still named using words we wouldn't use on anything we would expec to sell now a days? Ben Gay! Why ah wouldn't even name my cat Ben Gay now a days).

Jus food fer thought.
grin.gif

Well Natural Lube don't smell "food grade" to me. Smells like sumpin I'd rub on my rheumy old knees - like Ben Gay. When you see a few more winters you'll recognize such fragrances as they'll have replaced the perfumes of youth.

And who says you can't eat Ben Gay? Jug says "menthol", same stuff as in cough drops (OK, so I have a jug of Mineral Ice I'm looking at, but that doesn't have the name recognition). Maybe an older gun would appreciate the effects.

There was a teacher I had in high school that us kids called "Ben Gay" But that's a story for a different forum.

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
There was a teacher I had in high school that us kids called "Ben Gay" But that's a story for a different forum. Then has the gumpshin ta say "WATCH YER BACK-TRAIL"

And I'ma thinin by gum, the way this har thread is aheadin', with all that parlayvoo bout KY Jelly, that might be a good idee!
shocked.gif
grin.gif

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
Ah's just a lookin at Stumpkillers list o stuff he'd be a puttin into his WonderLube 1000 mix an Ah'm a quotin: "I'm thinking 50% Crisco, 25% Beeswax, 15% Ben Gay and 10% olive oil".Maybe he should add some Preparation H

Well, I don't know about the ben gay, prep H and the other stuff, but I just spent a very enjoyable snowy afternoon making up some patch lube using Zonie's formula of 70%, 20%, and 10% (without the smellum good) and lubing about 100 .50 caliber patches with same. The wife's at work so I had free access to the kitchen stove. The only problem I had was getting a consistent amount of lube on the patches. After dipping them in the melted lube, I tried laying them between two sheets of newspaper and rolling them with a steel pipe but some were full of lube and some were almost dry. I saw a setup somewhere on the web of a clamp arrangement using blocks of wood and a C-clamp. I'll try to build something like that for the next time. The problem with the newspaper method is that I waste a lot of lube. I know I can buy prelubed patches, but I'm the kind of guy that would rather make something myself rather that pay somebody else to do it for me. I think I would have made a good mountain man from that aspect. Either that or I'm cheap. Another neat idea I got from the web (maybe even from this forum) is making patch boxes and lube tins from Altoid mint tins and the like by burning off the paint in the coals of a wood fire. I have made several and I think they look pretty neat. If I knew how to post a picture, I'd show you what they look like.

Good deal on the home-brew lube. Try spreading the patch material out on glass and spreading the lube with a putty knife (or plastic spatula).

The Altoids tin idea may have been mine. I do this with Altoids, Kiwi shoe polish tins, pellet tins, cap boxes, 8mm film cans, etc. A propane torch works, too. I seem to remember posting the idea here not too long ago. I first read about the idea in Muzzleloader back in the 80's.

tommy b Stumpkillers method (spread with knife on glass etc.) is a good one. I go one step further by rolling up the strips of lubed patch material in a tight ball and then putting in a "Baggy" in the microwavw for about 15 seconds. This seems to spread out the lube evenly on all of the patch strips.

SJ
I agree that method would work - if I was using patch strips. A long time ago, I used to cut my patches at the muzzle but I found that I was removing the bluing on the front of the barrel from the knife rubbing on it. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I never had anyone show me the proper way. Anyway, I went to round patches cut on the drill press with a modified hole saw. I make them 1 1/8" dia. for .50 cal. and 3/4" dia. for .32 cal. With a sharp cutter I can cut them about as fast as I can work the handle. They're probably not PC but I'm not into that. I'm mainly a paper puncher but I'd like to get back into ml hunting someday. Thanks, everybody, for all the help.

Latest posts

Back