• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood for stocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLH

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What woods can be used for gun stocks? What size would you need to make a blank? I was just wondering if you could maybe use american chestnut?

Thanks in advance

Daniel

walnut, some maples, Birch and Cherry are the common ones, I have heard of many others used on occasion some have better characteristics than others, some of our bonafide gunbuilders will likley chime in with some usable information, I am more of a novice gunstocker and full time professional trouble maker/pot stirrer :v

I have used wormy chestnut in my cabinet making. I didn't know it was available any other way. But if it is, I suppose it could be used as a gun stock wood. :hmm:

I have no idea if chestnut would make a good gunstock or not but I'm not sure why wormy wood would automatically disqualify it. It's a handsome wood and certainly wouldn't change the strength characteristics of the wood.

I happen to have a very large American chestnut tree on my property. Although it's still healthy now, I'm told that it WILL eventually succumb to American Chestnut blight. I've always thought that when the old fellow dies that I'll most likely have some furniture made out of it but if I thought it would make a good gunstock or three, I'd be really interested in that as well. Obviously when and if it dies, I'll have the lumber sawn and it will not be wormy like the wood you use in your cabinet making (since I presume that the worm holes show up after the wood is made into boards, right?).

Daniel - this question has been beat around a lot here. A hard piece of sugar or red maple, cherry or walnut are your best bets. Find hard (heavy) stuff. With proper grain flow in wrist area.
Chestnut is not very hard, and is very splintery, from my experience with it - neither of which is a good attribute for a stock wood.

Meteor Man is correct, sugar maple being the first choice for stocks, on down through walnut.

tg said:
I am more of a novice gunstocker and full time professional trouble maker/pot stirrer :v

I thought that was a pre-requisite to joining the board :blah: :blah: :blah: Seriously I think everything has pretty much been covered, I have seen some rifles made of curly ash and many of the 18th century trade guns were stocked in beech.

Daniel. A little research on your part would answer your question, and the Internet is a great place to do that.

If you would google something like "wood hardness" you would find the site shown below.
http://www.tinytimbers.com/janka.htm

It lists the Janka hardness ratings for various woods. Check the hardness of sugar maple, and then the hardness of chestnut. I think your question would be answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the hardness of most of the woods just didn't know because I have seen cherry and walnut stocks and they have a lower specific gravity then the hard maple does. Thought other factors might come into play but guess thats what I get for thinking.

Ash makes a nice gun.

NWgun03.jpg

and

UltSqu005.jpg

Latest posts

Back