• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woods Walk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFFarmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am planning on setting up a woods walk. I have some "gongs & clangers" I've made from junk steel and tanks. I am open to any ideas from someone who has done a woods walk i.e. different targets, distances, rules, etc.

I've put on a winter woods walk the last two years now. I used scrap steel a machinist friend of mine gave me. I suspended them from chains off of rebar stands my club uses for their cowboy shoots. Set targets out to 20 to 30 yards. Doesn't sound very far but you'd be suprised how many guys missed at that range. Also had a pistol station and a tomahawk station. Fellas seemed to enjoy it. Lots of details to think about when organizing a shoot and hard work but very rewarding when those who participate come up to you later and thank you for the fun time they had. Good luck with your event.

Don

I've been rebuilding and revamping our woods walk at our club for the last two years. Most of our steel is between 20 and 35 yards with a couple out to 50 yards. Most of our steel is like a lot of other walks, odd shapes of steel and scrape iron. We're going to change a lot of our targets this year to hanging animal silhouettes. WIth a few half scale large game out to 65 yards.
Most of the steel we had was fixed and didn't move much or at all. This caused problems in scoring. That's why all the steel is going to be switched to swinging or moving targets. Makes spotting so much easier. I'm also going go back and manure up those nice clear firing lanes with some brush piles and large tree limbs. I wouldn't want the targets too visable!
I'd been interested in how others score their woods walk and what do you do about ties?

Smokeydays,

I keep scoring as simple as possible. Hit is 10 points a miss zero. Last station they shoot once at a large X on paper. Closest shot to center of X wins the tie. All shots are off-hand miss fires count as a miss.

Don

Don,
Thanks for the tip on the scoring I like that idea about the closest to the center shot. We had used a paper target before that had a deck of cards on them and it worked fine but i wanted something new.

I was thinking of a scoring system....for instance you have 10 or 20 shots with each scoring up to 10 or 5 respectively for a maximum of 100. maybe have a bullseye with scoringrings, hit a gong 4 pts. cut the gongs string off 5pts., hanging steel plate with 1 inch hole in center-through the hole 5 pts. hit the plate 4pts., mystery target-5 cans on a log (numbered 1-5 on their bottoms not in sequence) which ever can you hit that is the score you get for that shot. The mind can go crazy thinking of these things!

I was thinking of a scoring system....for instance you have 10 or 20 shots with each scoring up to 10 or 5 respectively for a maximum of 100. maybe have a bullseye with scoringrings, hit a gong 4 pts. cut the gongs string off 5pts., hanging steel plate with 1 inch hole in center-through the hole 5 pts. hit the plate 4pts., mystery target-5 cans on a log (numbered 1-5 on their bottoms not in sequence) which ever can you hit that is the score you get for that shot. The mind can go crazy thinking of these things!

forget it, you'll make yourself crazy and your shooters will hate you by the end of it. You'll have a million arguments about what was what, what hit where, blah blah blah....if it rings or moves, you get a point. If it doesn't, YOU MISSED! Shoot a tie breaker at the end (card, whatever) or throw hawks, start fires, whatever. But keep your scoring SIMPLE!!!

:results:

[/quote]

But keep your scoring SIMPLE!!!

:results: [/quote]

AMEN, years ago we tried the more competitive attitude, took the fun right out of it, almost had a few fist fights. Now we do the woods walks like stumblin' described, if it moves, 1 point, no move, no point. keep it simple, it is just to get like minded folks together for a good day in the woods, havin' fun, shootin' black powder and throwin' hawk & knifes..

Back