• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE WTS/WTT - Plains Rifle - .54 - WITHDRAWN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missoula1842

32 Cal
Reaction score
WITHDRAWN

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    897.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I acquired this .54 caliber plains rifle two years ago and it performed good service on a couple of TV shows. I am in no hurry to part with it, but thought I'd see if it generated any interest. I'd be especially keen on trades - used M1842 or M1855 muskets or other Civil War long arms.

I don't know who made this rifle. It has a Rex Maxey barrel. $850 plus shipping or trade.
How long is the barrel ? What twist ? How much does it weigh ?
Thank you in advance!

How long is the barrel ? What twist ? How much does it weigh ?
Thank you in advance!
If I had to guess the rifle weighs about ten pounds. I don't have any manner of weighing it. It's substantial, but not unusually heavy. I cannot tell you the twist - I just don't know. The barrel is probably about 28 inches long - I can try to measure it this evening - about standard for a Hawken or plains style rifle.

Unanswered questions so far:
Twist rate? ... you can estimate with patch on jag.
What TV shows?
Pull length?
Additionally, I'd like to see some trigger guard detail, and what is that inset into the butt?
Thanks.

From breech to muzzle the barrel measures 36 inches. 14 Inches between trigger and butt plate. The inset is a basic plain oval.

That is a nice looking rifle. I would also be interested in knowing about the television shows in which it appeared.

For what it's worth, I researched Rex Maxey, who made the barrel on this rifle. I didn't find a lot, but I discovered that Rexel Chastain "Rex" Maxey (1932 - 2007) operated a five and dime store in West Liberty or Ezel, Kentucky, and he was "really into" barrel making. Most of his barrels that I found described were of smaller calibers, but the ones he made were said to be very accurate. People who have them appear to really prize them. I don't know if he made complete rifles or not.

ADDENDUM: I would like to see a full-length photo. Thanks.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Because a few people have asked, here is a full-length photo of the rifle, with a slate with today's date (June 15, 2024). The rifle was used as the Lucien Maxwell "hero" gun for INSP's "Into the Wild Frontier" (for which I was a producer) and was also featured in INSP's "The Tall Tales of Jim Bridger." I have never fired a ball out of this gun - it was used exclusively for TV work while I have owned it. The barrel measures 36 inches - exterior measurement from breech to end of muzzle. Main trigger to middle of butt plate is about 14 inches. I don't have any jags handy, so I am unable to estimate the twist - sorry.

IMG_2411.jpg

Back