• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

X ring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big D

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Where is that elusive x ring, 9,10 9,10 but never in that x ring! I know where it is, its in the center! My eyes are old, cant see it, but doggone it its in the center!

Its really messing with my mind. Shoot no now no now bang 9 damn. Ok shoot no now no bang 10, no x.

Any one with a cure, I know discipline is the game. But in the match, that x just isn't there.

Shooting for the Ten's & X's is a chore shared by all competitve shooters and it is a mind game. From shooting International Free Pistol to Bullseye comps. to ML'ing, knowing where the X & 10 is not an area you want to devote your concentration. (1) prepare the gun and assume your stance (whatever); (2) bring the gun up to the target and come down on the CENTRE; (3) accept the fact that there is going to be a "wobble zone"; (4) squeeze through the wobble and fire without worrying about ---where's the X & Ten ring; (5) accept your score, reload and do it again; (6) If you are hitting consistently at, let's say three o'clock, then keeping your front foot in place change your natural POA (point of aim) by moving your rear foot in the opposite direction you want to bring your shot string. etc. :imo:

Hey, you're right! I just looked at an unfired target and there is an "X" printed there.

Never noticed it on a fired target . . . just wasn't any paper left there.

(Yeah, in my dreams). ::

Don't get hung up on the "X". If you're getting 9's & 10's consistantly you won't starve. Remember: a 47-0X beats a 46-4X every time. ::

Aggravating isn't it. One time I went into the zone and got way above myself and shot a 50 at 25 yards (a blind pig will find an acorn once in a while). Only got 2 x's out of those five shots. Got so excited about it that I didn't shoot worth a darn the rest of the day.

My mind is some times screaming at my finger, squeeze, and my finger wont move. It's taken along time for me to get my flintlock to preform. Now it's the quest to make me perform. getting into that zone on command. Is that target panic? If so whats the cure? Why wont my finger move when I tell it to? When my front sight moves to the ten ring,I'm thinking just a little finer, just a little finer,now squeeze, and my finger wont move. I've held for so long now, I have to lower my rifle and start again.

I've srunk my groups down to about a golf ball,I'm talking about shooting off hand (on those good days) But when but when you just feel every thing went just perfict, should all be tens, I walk to the target and there, nines. Ok next round get it up there, but my brain,and finger wont work together.It's not the pressure of compotion, I do the same thing in pratice.

Back