• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

YEEEEHAAAA I got it!!! now what load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaveman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up my .36 TVM southern rifle from Cains yesterday. I ordered a kit from Toni, and took it to Cains for assembly(4 month wait instead of a year). Man this thing is nice. Whoever Ed had build this rifle did an awesome job. My only regret is that I didn't go with a prettier piece of wood. I shot it a little bit last night with 30 and 40 gr of 3f. I wasn't getting anything that even resembled a group. Probably my fault though. I think I was flinching a little(OK alot), this is my first flinter. Is 30-40gr a good starting point for a 42" .36cal barrel?

Josh

Yep thats a good place to start, could even be a bit lower if you wanted. Congrats on the new gun. :thumbsup:

Shoot off a bench, until you get over flinching at the flash. Use 25 grains of FFFg powder, and shoot at 25 yards. No sense shooting at longer distances until you get used to a flintlock. You will know that you are getting used to your new rifle when you find yourself loading it without a strong conscious effort to remember each step, and without fumbling with every thing. When you are a new shooter, you think you will never become smooth at anything. But it comes in time.

For target shooting out to 75 yards with my .36 TC Seneca I use 20 grains of fffg. I haven't squirral hunted with it yet but I don't think I need anymore than that for squirral hunting. Why burn more powder than you need.

For flinching....get an assistant to prime your pan.

Have them prime it or not, without you knowing.Then have them bust your stones when you flinch on an empty pan.

I shoot 30 grains for 25 and 50 yards and it is dead on at 100 yards with 40 grains. This is in a 42" Sharon barrel. Shooting it is like shooting a heavy .22. No recoil to get in the way of getting used to the flash.

I would start at 25 grains and work around finding what gives the tightest group off the bench at 50 yards. When you get the best group with the charge, start messing with ball size and patching to see if it will tighten up.

Once I get the tightest group at 50 yards, I take it out to 100 yards and raise the charge until I am hitting at the same POA.

If you have not look at Dutch Schoultz's accuracy system, you should. For $15.00, Dutch give you written information, with many pictures to illustrate his points, on how to quickly find the most accurate load with any ML rifle.
[url] http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/[/url]

He worked this out over a life time of shooting, and several thousand people can attest to the fact that his system works. Its the best $15.00 you will spend on this gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Josh,
I am real happy for you. I know you waited a while for it. I'm sure the wait was worth it. Enjoy :v .

I would suggest a couple of things:

I use 22 grains 3f in a .36 and get good results.

I have coached people and had them shoot a .22 for a string of shots to get their form right and then go to MLs.

When you do go to your ML, fire a number of shots with a wooden "flint" to demonstrate your flinch. Then move to slightly filled pans before shooing live shots.

Good Luck,
CS

we just moved out in the sticks and had to go back to dial-up. Pics will probably take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time to post.

got it shooting 1 hole 5 shot groups at about 35-40 yards now. 35gr is the magic number :) . It's pretty hard on flints though. I really need to get the lock tuned

Josh

paul, i couldn't agree more. dutch's system really works. my last outting with the tc hawken with the gm barrel shot under half an inch ctc at 40 yards. well worth the $15. chopper

Back