• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

York Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grey8833

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to build a Chambers > York kit. ToTW has two books that show York rifles, "Gunsmiths of York County" and Rifles of Colonial America, Vol II. Which one is the best for a York build? Anyone read both? Looking for detailed pictures on carvings and engravings.

Mike F

Because I like long rifles in general, I have both books. The Whisker book, in my opinion would be of more help in that there are more rifles featured. The photo quality is about the same in both books. There are no measurments in the Whisker book as there is in RCA II. Given the fact that you are building a kit from Barbie, the numbers part is moot. The Whisker book because there are more examples of York rifles would then give more examples of carving and engraving. Good luck to you. Post the rifle when you are done please. JZ

Because a person cannot have to many reference books I have a number of Whiskers books.

I agree with PIKELAKE about them.
Whisker's books are a great source of information on the Bibliographical information of the builders if that is what a person wants but the lack of dimensions and views of the rifles leaves much to be desired.

It's just my opinion but if he gave half of the personal information about the builders and twice the information about the rifles he shows his books would be of much greater value.

Back