• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You guys in AK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
TG's thread about hunting AK got me to thinking about ways that a guy could put together a black bear/moose hunt on his own.

I notice the the forest service has cabins scattered about especially along the coastal part of the state. Apparently they can be rented.

Would it possibley work out that a guy could rent one of these in black bear and moose country? Maybe even drive to one?

Here is some general answers to the best of my knowledge:

The USFS has cabins in south central in decent black bear areas and there are some moose around at least some of those cabins. That would be Chugach National Forest. You can't drive to any. Either walk or fly in. Horses are used to get to a few.

The USFS cabins in southeast (Tongass National Forest) are in deer and bear areas but no moose. Most of those are on lakes are require fly in. None are drive in. As best I know, all the USFS cabins are reserved by internet, not telephone or in person.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service has cabins as well and many of those are in decent moose and bear areas. They are listed by refuse so cabin for Kenai National Wildlife Refuge are listed under their site. Other Refuges have cabins but you have to look them up by refuge, not the agency overall as best I know. Keep in mind that their cabins are reserved by telephone or in person only, not thru internet.

Alaska State Parks and the National Park Service has cabins as well. No hunting in actual National Parks (except some subsistenece) but hunting is allowed on some other land managed by the NPS such as areas around Yakatat.

Most of the cabins realistically require fly in which is possible. All the goods ones fill up quickly during hunting seasons so you have to plan quite a a bit out, both for the cabin and the charter flight in and out.

Remember traveling with black powder is really not an option so you will have to make sure anything you need is available wherever you plan to charter out from. No problem out of Anchorage or Fairbanks getting BP substitute, maybe OK in Juneau, nearly impossible elsewhere in the state unless you know someone who lives there and has it barged in.

Hopefully that helps.

D. Gimore, you covered the situation well. Nice job!

Basically it's possible to do it yourself here for many species, but lots of experience and prior knowledge is needed in arranging everything from a place to go to getting there, then getting back. Don't be discouraged by that, but don't expect to save money without putting in lots of your own time.

Back