• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Your muzzleloader activity in 2006 ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2006 was not a very good year for me. Didnt shoot much didnt hunt much. All will change in 2007.

will shoot alont more and will build a few ML well atleast one.

I purchased my first professionally built flintlock rifle. It fits me like a glove and shoots well. I made some stuff like a possibles bag and powderhorn. Went to the range every chance I got. I subscibed to this forum, best thing I did in 2006. I learned an awful lot of stuff from you folks on this forum. I even dusted off my old forge and intend to make some knives in 2007.

For 2007? You will see a lot of questions from me as I am accumulating the parts necessary to build a fowler. I intend to hunt turkeys with it when completed. Hopefully this spring. If not then next fall. I also intend to attend my first rondy as a participant rather then a public visitor.

Got less shooting in and more tinkering done. Current project is a Vincent half stock. Once I retired I have less time for rifle building. (If you are retired you know what I mean.)

Most shooting was done with some form of experimenting in mind. I spent way too much time to get a photo of a ball and patch separating. Started in Jan - success in June. I changed guns and powders before I was done.

I helped a friend get started in ML. We got him sighted in and started some good habits about loading and cleaning his gun.

Am looking forward to 2007. Paul V and I have been discussing some testing with flintlock ignition where compression is the variable.

Lucked into a chance to work with an Olympus high speed video expert. We will try a flintlock with and without priming powder. And I want a segment with a fired ball exiting the muzzle and crossing in front of the camera. (30,000 frames/sec and shutter - 5/1,000,000 sec.)

Flintlock science is cool!
Pletch

Started getting out my M/Ls again in 2006, partly because of this forum. Now I don't shoot my CF pistols as much. I spend time at the range with my TC Hawken. I went to some rendezvous and started accumulating and making better gear and period clothing. Hopefully 2007 will see me build a Lancaster rifle. :grin: GW

I got involved in muzzleloading in March of '06 when I bought a GPR kit. Found this forum, got hooked up with some members (Brett Sr.), was invited out to his shooting club (which I joined), finished the GPR in the fall and have been enjoying getting to know it. Getting my 15 year old son involved (looks like the bug has bit) and am now looking for a rifle for him. For the start of 2007, was out at Brett Sr's place today putting holes in cardboard with the GPR and a Kentucky pistol I am working on. I can see the start of a beautiful friendship with this activity and all those involved with it.
Scott

Got interested in the fall of 05 when a friend took me to friendship. So in 06 I purchased a custom 40 for my target shooting. Purchased a 50 built by the same person for my hundred yard plus stuff. Fell for the a TVM 20 gage smoothbore so it was added. Last my wife got me a 40 cal pistol for christmas.
Try to make it at least once a month to friendship. Live only 50 min away and once a month to the gun club. Love the 40 and 50. Still trying to get the hang of the smoothbore.

Placed well in four biathlons, considering I have had five heart attacks,won gold medals at the VT Terr. and N.H. Terr., my wife won the N.H. State shoot Womens 25yd. contest (her 1st. time shooting), won the VT Trapper rondy event, my b.p. team won the N.E. Team shoot for the 2nd of 3 years and won all but one local shoot entered. Down side ... lost my 11yr. old hound dog in Nov. and would trade all of the above to have him back.

i didn't work a single day this past year....

had a turd of a tumor taken outta my brain....

got back to my feet somewhat....

got out hunting fer deer 4 times, lost 1 and missed 1....

but i did go squirrel hunting 2 days and got 8 of um....

got to the range monday after thanks giving and put my first shot at 100 yards dead center of the bullseye....

the best part of all this is, all my bills are paid up to date and a couple of loans are ending in two months, so that means more money to finish my lancaster now....

life is good :hatsoff: :v .............bob

P.S....just ordered the taps and drill bits i need fer my lock and touch hole from track on sun, there being shipped tue....

I did very little ML shooting in 2006. In fact, 2006 proved to be a difficult year for my family. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, had surgery, and is still receiving chemo.
We are hoping for a better 2007.
I have my first flintlock, a GPR .50, that I still haven't had a chance to fire. Once things slow down, I am anxious to give it a try.

8905c

I don't think my 2006 was much different than the previous years. I built 2 kits, went target shooting a lot, introduced a few folks to muzzleloading and did a little hunting.

I have bigger plans for 2007 though. I'm working on building skills for higher level kits in the hopes of becoming a true builder some day. If time allows, I'm going to be attending some rondies and getting more involved with the sport aspect of muzzleloading. Planning all of my hunting activities around muzzleloaders, even dove and squirrels. No more smokeless shotguns and .22's.

Most of all, I'm making the move into the firearms industry as a career rather than just a hobby. I've already started that part with a gusto.

Clutch said:
You need to take some time out from work and shoot.

Clutch
This is what consumes all of my non working time. :winking:
thegeek2.jpg

pyle1.jpg

Mike, If you would just shoot them instead of chase them ? you would have more time to shoot & more meat to eat ?? :hmm: :confused: :grin:

Seriously tho, there is a guy out the road here that ships his overseas & gets really big $ for them, so the UPS man tell me. I don't know what they are or anything about it, just that he does it. My extent of chicken knowledge is they eat grain = grain mill = railroad grain cars = locomotives to pull the grain cars = my business repairing the locomotives.
:thumbsup:

What I did in 2006?

Well, to begin with I bought my first Muzzleloader early in Nov. I was headed South out of Michigan and passed
a Cabela's store. Stopped in and came out with a new Pedersoli .50 Kentucky rifle. I finally got all of the accessories and nailed a bunch of pop cans in the woods.

I was hooked. Not too long after the first puchase, I ordered a Blue Ridge .32, which I am delighted with. Really nice to shoot, and I have not had to do too much to the sights. Quite accurate at 50 yds, with about a half charge.

I must admit I'm looking Frontier .38 or .45 some time in the future.

Roundball, Its been a Glorious year for me. Started off last summer and pieced together and customized a TC Renegade and put a 58 Cal Green Mountain on it. Figured It would be a good muzzleloader to hunt with in the rain. It was, Shot a doe with it. My Father gave me the Full Stock Hawken he built back in 81 with a Bill Large Barrel on it. Shot Three deer with it and 10 squirrels with it since Christmas. Then I Pieced together a New Englander 12 Ga to get ready for Turkeys this spring. That remeinds me, I need to check on choke tubes.

Thanks,
Headhunter

My brother inlaw bought a used TC Hawken and some accessories off a guy for $150. I had been interested in BP for quite a whilke but hadn't even held one before. We went out and shot his new gun and I was hooked. I still enjoy my center fire open sight rifles but BP is so much fun. For 2007 I am buying a GPR 54 percusion kit and getting it together. I plan on hunting and target shooting as well as getting to know more about my new hobby and sport.

Mike

Sold off more centerfires.

Bought more MLs.

Did some shootin'.

Made some friends.

Made first trip to Friendship.

Introduced 3 kids to MLs.

Semi-Converted an i-l guy.

Killed squirrels.

Killed my biggest buck of my life.

It was a good year! :thumbsup:

Burnt 1 can of powder with my 2 .50's and started on another. Burnt another can of 3f with my '58 Rem and ROA. No formal shoots, and for first time in several years no deer with BP gun. Took a nice rack in WV with one of those we shall not speak of.

Stripped the modern blue and varnish off my T/C Hawkin and browned the barrel, hand rubbed linseed oil into the stock, looking for a new rear sight now.
Built a new knife
dug out the 62 cal fowler I started two years ago and got back to work on it.

I did not shoot much at all but have decided to sell the last two ML rifles I have and a couple of my smoothbores and settle in on only having two guns a .58 Fusil and a .62 Virginia smoothrifle the days of having 10-15 guns are gone, maybe with only two I can get to the point that I can hit something again...

I've really ended up in the same boat...I've kind of topped out and have too many...need to sell some off...I have some really pretty wood Flintlocks with all the new style upgrades completed, just laying oiled in their cases going unused.

I felt good all along because I was selling off centerfires but when I step back and look at it...my overall inventory is still too high
:grin:

And yeah, you need to get out and start shooting more...hunting season is over and I'm starting back on my Saturday morning range trips this weekend myself

Back