• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhogg

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Would i be nuts to try and bag a deer with a zouave civil war rifle. I feel like its probably much more capable than me but i just want to be sure that there not just only good for volley fire. Do any of you guys hunt with one or a similiar gun

You have a good ball load thats accurate?

I don't like the pointed mini ball for hunting. I'm sure people have used it to take game but I was a Ross Siegried (sp) fan growing up and I remember him writing a story of using an old gun that used mini type bullets and he shot I believe a Mulie, maybe a whitetail, anyway he gave up tracking and lost the animal. That was one of the reasons he was a firm believer in bullets with the widest meplat possible especially when hunting with handguns which he did a lot.

Minie balls are accurate I shoot them often but I cant vouch for how good they stack up against a deer. They were devastating on people but deer are probably tougher.

I know mini's are accurate, it's the performance on game that concerns me. If you want to use a conical, I think theres others a lot better than mini's. If I have a choice between a mini or roundball, I'll take the roundball.

I don't know why they would not work on game. I shoot a Sharps with a 500 Gr. Paper Patch bullet they work just fine. Use a .58 Cal. Mini 530 grains with 65 Grs. of 1F it should take down about anything. You can get a flat nose Mini if thats a problem. :thumbsup:

redwing said:
I don't know why they would not work on game. I shoot a Sharps with a 500 Gr. Paper Patch bullet they work just fine. Use a .58 Cal. Mini 530 grains with 65 Grs. of 1F it should take down about anything. You can get a flat nose Mini if thats a problem. :thumbsup:

Thats great, I just remember that article long ago from Ross and have used and seen what a good bullet with a wide meplat can do. :v

Latest posts

Back