• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Christmas meat hunt with the munchkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOneFive

32 Cal
Reaction score
This was 2 years ago, we had a busy fall and hadn't had much chance to get out and chase critters. So over the few days I was off for Christmas me and my little guy decided to go give it a whirl..
We headed south to a friend's ranch and went for a hike, not far in we jumped a small herd of mulie slickheads bedded in a blowout. They bounded just out of sight so we slowly pursued them. It was in the afternoon and had been fairly warm even with some snow holding on. Good day for a walk. We did about an hour of cat and mouse through the hills and finally got back on a couple hanging out in another blowout. A little sneaky side hilling and we were in place for a shot. It ranged out at 115 yards, so we waited for one to stand, a PRB to the boiler and it dropped.. It looked like a small doe, but we were making meat and memories so who cares anyways. Upon arrival we find it was a little button buck, and smaller than I imagined.. Probably the smallest body deer I've ever shot. After a quick lesson on gutting, and in falling light and temps I decided to try out my new frame pack by tossing him on it whole..
A quick run back to the truck about 3/4 of a mile and I was happy to be there.
Was a shining night and a good Christmas eve gift for both of us.
I was packing my tryon 54 on this trip.
20221226_155627.jpgWhere we caught up to them. 20221226_155411.jpg20221226_155558.jpgTiny lil fella

Congratulations on the deer and a good time too. I shot one like that one year thinking he was a doe and he was actually about the same size as what I'm assuming was his mom who he was with. He will be good table fare. Good to see some western stuff.

Back