• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANY TIPS FOR LINIED UP A WOODEN CAP TO A HORN...ALL BE IT A SMALL PRIMING HORN, anything is appreciated....
Here's what I did (I am no great horn maker mind you).
I made a wooden cone as a mold to make the horn a concentric circle heated the horn with oil and shoved the cone in. Then I made the plug. I have a crappy lathe but it's a lot of work to setup, so I did it by hand. I started with a 3/8" step in the plug to go inside the horn. I cut that with a Japanese pull saw and chisel. I sanded the horn rim flat on a piece of sandpaper on a table and very carefully tapered and reduced the insert part of the plug until it fit.
I had to trim the edges of the step with the chisel until it fit perfectly. ( I made a pencil mark on both to keep them lined up because the horn still wasn't a perfect circle). Once I had that, I traced around the horn into the plug. Removed the plug, trimmed down to the line, and shaped it. When. I was happy I glued and tacked it in place with brass brads.
After all that the wood was still just slightly larger than the horn. I used a steel scraper to make it even with the horn, but probably would have been fine like it was. Not a 5 min job, it took a full evening. The lathe would have definitely been faster.

I also used The book by Sibley to supplement tutorial by PathfinderNC.
What I learned and will do differently next time is the boiling or heating to make the base fit a round base plug. I tried to fit an irregular space with lots of sanding. It is airtight now but it took more effort than necessary and the cosmetic results, are, well, rustic at best.
I can say that drilling the spout was not a problem for the first timer.

I like it, based on other viewings of authentic 1700's horns and repro amateur products, it is very good. It was after all, an personal expression of someones art and story telling. You got me interested, now I want more!

Back