• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cased Revolver - Update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I asked about the quality of newly manufactured percussion revolvers for a casing project. I received some good feedback and thought you would like to see the almost finished result. The revolver is Taylor's (Uberti) New Model Army. I know that Remington did not color case the frames, but I really liked the look of this revolver. The case was ordered from Hampel's Woodland Products. It is walnut, and they give you the option of a blue, green, or red interior. Flask is a repro that I already had. The cap box is from Ted Cash Manufacturing. If the cap box is like my similar compass that copper will darken to match the flask pretty quickly.

Once I received the case, I gave it a few days to gas-off (hey, I'm a retired museum curator) and then inserted the components.

Thanks again for all the input on the revolvers.

Attachments

• RemCase1.jpg
    RemCase1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 2
  • RemCase2.jpg
    RemCase2.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 0
  • RemCase3.jpg
    RemCase3.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
Good looking case and pistol, but I’m unfamiliar with that term. What does ‘gas-off’ mean?
Airborne release of chemical vapors from the construction the case. Finish, any glue used, etc. You want those to diminish or disappear to prevent an adverse reaction or damage to the finish of the firearm or components.

In a museum environment, once an exhibit case is built or refurbished or painted and the artifact mounts, labels and graphics installed, you have a certain "off-gassing" period for those vapors to dissipate prior to installing any artifacts.

Probably overkill in this case, but habits die hard. Most damage I encountered with historical firearms in these types of cases was from mold and or moisture. Nothing more heart-breaking than for a potential donor to bring a classic Colt or S&W or what have you to the museum, only to see it pitted and damaged from being stored in a damp holster or box.

Last edited:
Airborne release of chemical vapors from the construction the case. Finish, any glue used, etc. You want those to diminish or disappear to prevent an adverse reaction or damage to the finish of the firearm or components.

In a museum environment, once an exhibit case is built or refurbished or painted and the artifact mounts, labels and graphics installed, you have a certain "off-gassing" period for those vapors to dissipate prior to installing any artifacts.

Probably overkill in this case, but habits die hard. Most damage I encountered with historical firearms in these types of cases was from mold and or moisture. Nothing more heart-breaking than for a potential donor to bring a classic Colt or S&W or what have you to the museum, only to see it pitted and damaged from being stored in a damp holster or box.
Ok, thanks! I learned something today.

Back