• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Central PA school, what's the right name?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyEye

.50 T/C Hawken
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies is this doesn't belong in this forum, it has to do with the proper name for the school that comes from old union county and Northumberland county and typical identifying characteristics.

I've seen Upper Susquehanna School, Sunbury School, Northumberland School, Snyder school, Union county school, and usually who ever it is lists one or more of the other names.

I'm not trying to start a war, just trying to improve my search results. If I've stumbled upon a contentious and long standing argument with red faced proponents on the apparently many sides please say so and I'll move along.

I have multiple generations of family from old union county and Northumberland county, I'm interested in characteristic architecture and prominent gunsmiths in the 1770-1820 timeframe.

I've found William Antes, Jacob Albright and Samuel Baum Sr. I'm happy to have suggestions of other noteworthy makers.

Follow up question: if early makers from this region are largely unknown/unverified (most makers I'm finding are later, well into the percussion era), would it be fair assumption to think the Lebanon county school and makers like J.P.Beck probably had a large influence, or large amount of trade due to geography?

Last edited:
Back