• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple Muzzle Ding Fix;

I've used a Steel Jewelers Ring Mandrel to fix minor muzzle dings like your's.
Go slow driving the mandrel into the muzzle & use a small soft-faced hammer to tap around the dent until the muzzle is perfectly concentric.
Below is an Amazon link If you don't have access to a Steel mandrel or soft faced mallet;
Relic shooter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FEPKX...rafts&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

What if he used a dowel rod bigger in diameter than the barrel, and reduced the diameter of the rod to where it was "pointed" on one end so that when inserted into the barrel it would fit, then heat the muzzle area with a propane torch to where the metal was malleable, then tap the rod in to bend the damaged area back to how it was? Maybe not a dowel but some kind of tapered steel rod. Or, the barrels have no choke. Saw both barrels off to get rid of the damaged in. He'd have a little bit shorter gun though, and have to reinstall a front bead. I'm just thinking about home remedies.

Do you have a link to those? I’ve just used a mandrel and a planishing hammer.
What shotgun gunsmith would use.

1713454813769.jpeg

Last edited:
What if he used a dowel rod bigger in diameter than the barrel, and reduced the diameter of the rod to where it was "pointed" on one end so that when inserted into the barrel it would fit, then heat the muzzle area with a propane torch to where the metal was malleable, then tap the rod in to bend the damaged area back to how it was? Maybe not a dowel but some kind of tapered steel rod. Or, the barrels have no choke. Saw both barrels off to get rid of the damaged in. He'd have a little bit shorter gun though, and have to reinstall a front bead. I'm just thinking about home remedies.
No, don't get the torch out and don't use a dowel.

OOOOPS!
I use a morse taper tool that fits. Tap it in then tap gently around the muzzle. Quick and easy!
If one were to use a Morse tapered tool tapped into the bore, I would suggest putting a stout piece brass or copper rod in the barrel first. It will knock the tapered tool out when you are done with whatever you are trying to accomplish.

No, no and no…. ‘heat the muzzle area with a propane torch to where the metal was malleable’ and you will up with two individual barrels when the solder melts.

You will need to make up steel gauge pins that start out smaller in diameter than the dent and tapered to a few thousands in diameter larger so as to start to enlarge the dent use with a soft brass hammer tapping the dented area. You would then make another steel plug a few thousands larger than the first one and continue with the enlarging process. This process would continue until you get the muzzle into the proper shape and diameter. This is not a quick fix buy will do the job very nicely. DO NOT USE HEAT you WILL separate the front two barrels and rib of the gun!:doh::eek::oops::rolleyes:

That sucks big-time. I thought I was having a bad day when I sliced my palm open while trying to attach a handle to a knife.
Any ideas on how to repair it
Should be easy to tap out with the right size mandrel. Can be brass, bronze, steel or even hardwood. The barrels are quite soft, use a small dead blow hammer and work from outer edge of ding, light taps. Make sure the barrel you’re not working on is on a proper support, bag of shot maybe, unless you want to fix that one too. Good luck, it’s not that hard, just go slow.

This won't work in a ML'er but will in a modern shotgun. I had same issue with a double 12 ga (modern) I got that belonged to my grandfather. The right muzzle was smashed in similar to the original posters. I took it to my gun smith buddy and he literally handed me a 12 ga slug (standard non-sabot style) said go out back to the range and fire this off through the barrel. I did and walla it straightened it right out. He said now I could of charged ya $50 to do the same thing but I like ya.
Now I am guessing he knew it wasn't that bad and would not end up rupturing the barrel like in the cartoon with the finger in the barrel, banana peeling it back.

This won't work in a ML'er but will in a modern shotgun. I had same issue with a double 12 ga (modern) I got that belonged to my grandfather. The right muzzle was smashed in similar to the original posters. I took it to my gun smith buddy and he literally handed me a 12 ga slug (standard non-sabot style) said go out back to the range and fire this off through the barrel. I did and walla it straightened it right out. He said now I could of charged ya $50 to do the same thing but I like ya.
Now I am guessing he knew it wasn't that bad and would not end up rupturing the barrel like in the cartoon with the finger in the barrel, banana peeling it back.
yeesh

Back