• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First shot pouch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Spent some time making my first shot pouch to accompany my woodsrunner. By no means perfect, but I had a lot of fun putting this together. My use of the edge creaser around the flap edge was a bit squirrely, but I have never really done leather work so it was a good first go.
I watched the the video on making a simple muzzleloader pouch by Jeff Luke on the NMLRA YouTube channel and I drew inspiration from Mark Elliot's early Virginia shot pouches I've admired on his website (hopefully he doesn't mind). He has a very nice write up about his pouches on his website. Both Jeff Luke and Mark Elliot note the pouches are based on the Wallace Gusler pouch.
Everything was sewn using waxed linen thread, the button is pewter purchased from Townsends, and I found a hand forged square buckle with rounded corners on eBay (didn't get a photo this time around). I Used Feibing's chocolate color leather dye. Other than underside of the flap, I didn't dye the inside of the pouch. From experience with the pouches I have purchased the dark inside of the pouch can make finding things difficult when I can't find it by feel. After drying I applied three very light coats of pure neatsfoot oil and followed that up with a natural saddle butter conditioner containing beeswax.
I bought the leather from Tandy, they had precut tooling leather in 12x24 and 12x12 sheets. I cut what I needed from that. I purchased the strap leather from Pitka leather online. Expensive way to go, next time I think I will just buy a full side, cut my own straps and make a few pouches. I have the book "recreating the 18th century hunting pouch", so think i'll try making a some of those.

IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

Last edited:
Well done, my friend. It looks really good, and it will serve you well for years to come.

Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob

Thanks all. I’m debating adding a loop to the strap for my short starter. From what I’ve gathered it wouldn’t be HC for the period, but for practical use it would make things easier.

Back