• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many of you dry your revolver in the oven?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never dried a gun in the oven, though once after turning a canoe over while wearing a leather belt and holster, i put the rig in the oven after scrubbing it down with saddle soap. just the pilot light on. when i pulled it out it would have fit a new born baby.
it hangs on the side of the canning shed. 400.00 mistake.

Attachments

• 20230513_071838.jpg
    20230513_071838.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I clean with a dawn/water/ballistol mix, blow dry with air compressor and put in the oven at about 180 degrees. I think the ballistol leaves a film that prevents flash rust when oven drying. I'll then put a heavy coat of ballistol on everything and done. Might be more than necessary but it works for me and I've got the time for a little gun love.

It won't hurt to stick a steel pistol in an oven.

215 degrees is fine. Because steaming and driving off the water will begin at 212. You know, that whole boiling thing.

Just don't put the blued parts on aluminum foil.

I did that once, 30 years ago, and there was a chemical reaction. Lots of ugly silver spots everywhere.
I guess I've been lucky so far. I've been putting my guns/parts on aluminum foil in the oven at about 180 degrees with no problems so far. But in light of your post I'm going to switch to a glass baking dish. Why take any more chances.

Plus, how hot do you "bake" it at?
And does anyone have any horror stories relating to drying it this way?
I coated one in olive oil, lightly seasoned it, then baked it on a pine board until done. It tasted terrible, the last time I'll cook fish that way...
Were we talking about revolvers??
🤣🤣

I see no need for that. Hot water to rinse, Ballistol moose milk to clean, then wipe dry then straight Ballistol to protect.

If you and I were camped out in the woods and had to clean our M.L.s and all we had was a stream of running water and a camp fire what would we do to dry our M.L.? There is something everyone has to rely on in a pinch. It is called ,commonl sense
Edit: Sorry, misunderstood your post. My bad…
-Red, being dense….

99% Rubbing alcohol squirted into the action/trigger area with a syringe body will absorb water.
Shake out the alcohol as best you can, when blast in aerosol break cleaner.
Shake out the bulk of the wet then let it evaporate for a few minutes.
Spray in your favourite aerosol gun oil or add oil drop by drop and roll it around to throughly coat the inside areas
That takes care of the interior of the trigger area.
The rest of the firearms surfaces metal is accessible to be wiped with a oily patch.

Hot water make flash rusting occur, use tepid temperature water while doing the bulk BP clean off.

I coated one in olive oil, lightly seasoned it, then baked it on a pine board until done. It tasted terrible, the last time I'll cook fish that way...
Were we talking about revolvers??
🤣🤣
But seriously folks.... 30 odd years ago when I was really into PPC, S&W introduced the 625. Alot of PPC shooters retired their 25-2's and got one. They weren't cheap. ( btw, that's how I got my first 25-2)

A good friend bought the first one I'd seen. We all shot it. A Very smooth double action trigger, overall a great out of the box competition revolver. He proudly announced being stainless you could wash it in the dishwasher and dry it in the oven.

Next match he showed up mad at the world. He uncrated his month old 625 and it was covered in yellow/orange rust spots.

As competitive shooters we had compassion for him... NOT!
I told him he needed to use more Jet Dry, another told him it looked like an orange tree had took a dump on it!!

No one knew exactly what happened, but he kept it for years. It shot fine, but looked horrible. I learned that stainless steel only goes so far to prevent rust.

So no, I've never been tempted to use a dishwasher to clean or use an oven to dry a pistol.

But seriously folks.... 30 odd years ago when I was really into PPC, S&W introduced the 625. Alot of PPC shooters retired their 25-2's and got one. They weren't cheap. ( btw, that's how I got my first 25-2)

A good friend bought the first one I'd seen. We all shot it. A Very smooth double action trigger, overall a great out of the box competition revolver. He proudly announced being stainless you could wash it in the dishwasher and dry it in the oven.

Next match he showed up mad at the world. He uncrated his month old 625 and it was covered in yellow/orange rust spots.

As competitive shooters we had compassion for him... NOT!
I told him he needed to use more Jet Dry, another told him it looked like an orange tree had took a dump on it!!

No one knew exactly what happened, but he kept it for years. It shot fine, but looked horrible. I learned that stainless steel only goes so far to prevent rust.

So no, I've never been tempted to use a dishwasher to clean or use an oven to dry a pistol.
I don't know about the dish washing thing. How could that clean barrels, cylinders, etc.? The oven is just to provide a little warmth to thoroughly dry crevices, screw tappings, those sort of places. You are not broiling a steak! 180 or so....safe for bluing and if you used a little ballistol in the water it will prevent flash rusting as the water evaporates. But whatever is working for you, stick with it.

I don't know about the dish washing thing. How could that clean barrels, cylinders, etc.? The oven is just to provide a little warmth to thoroughly dry crevices, screw tappings, those sort of places. You are not broiling a steak! 180 or so....safe for bluing and if you used a little ballistol in the water it will prevent flash rusting as the water evaporates. But whatever is working for you, stick with it.
IIRC he put the barrel and cylinder on the bottom rack pegs used to separate plates and such.

All this perturbation over the years. Said the devil take it. Got rid of the BP revolver and only shoot flintlock pistols for ML.
Hard enough cleaning the S&W Mountain Revolver after a couple dozen .44 unmentionable rounds.

Boy most you fellas sure know how to overcomplicate a very simple task. No wonder none of you ever join us for our monthly postal matches.(?)
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/may-2023-postal-target.163428/ Bathing your pistol and stripping it completely down every time, followed by an oven roast, would cause me to hang it on the wall and never shoot it too.

Just pack the action with good grease.... then when you're done shooting for the day all you gotta do is swab the barrel and cylinders, wipe down the outside with a moist rag, apply a little oil, and you're done!

Last edited:
LMAO !! Wow !! We' d have 4 to 6 revolvers a piece to clean after a good shooting spree . You can heat water or just as hot as it'll get out of the spigot . A milk jug with top cut off but handle still on held the hot water ...barrels and cylinders go.in the water , grip and frames set a side ...little soap if you want but I never used it . copper brush on a rod .. Right away with end of barrel in water run brush back and forth through bore , both ends then out of eater set aside , its still hot .... Then with cylinder half in water do the same scrub each chamber quickly a few times each ....it goes fast , set aside on towel the barrels and cylinders you can see the heat coming off them ... Stub the cylinder pin and frames with tooth brush in oil .... by the time your do e with frames the barrels , you been flipping them , a small rack works good too .....they and cylinders are dry by now ....scrub the barrels and cylinders with the tooth brush and oil too ....drop.of oil in cylinder lock hole and hammer base .... Reassemble revolvers , your done . After a few shoots I'd take the guts out and clean / check them too ....

Boy most you fellas sure know how to overcomplicate a very simple task. No wonder none of you ever join us for our monthly postal matches.(?)
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/may-2023-postal-target.163428/ Bathing your pistol and stripping it completely down every time, followed by an oven roast, would cause me to hang it on the wall and never shoot it too.

Just pack the action with good grease.... then when you're done shooting for the day all you gotta do is swab the barrel and cylinders, wipe down the outside with a moist rag, apply a little oil, and you're done!
Over complicating is well put. My frames are packed in synthetic grease and have action shields installed keeping fouling and fragments out, so like you said, scrub the barrel and cylinder, wipe the frame and lube and presto done in 30 minutes. Just discovered using an ultrasonic machine that does wonders on the cylinder and nipples.

Latest posts

Back