• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have such a long way to go

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WonkyEye

.50 T/C Hawken
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
1000003486.jpg
I've been trying to learn graver making and hammer engraving. If someone could suggest exercises that would improve my skill, I would be grateful.

This is my mark that I created a couple years ago and have been branding projects with it. It's now on my throwing hawk, so it cannot be confused with someone elses. The mark is recognizable, but not good by any stretch.

I am getting better at shaping the cutter for what I want. Sometimes I lose control, not slips, thankfully. Issues with direction and depth, sometimes it digs in, sometimes it skew cuts unintentionally. For example the tail was suppose to be a thin line, but the cutter turned and cut almost like a flat graver.

I think part of the issue is I need more magnification so I can see what the cutter is doing before it's too late. I've been using 2x cheaters and maybe that would have been ok a couple years ago, but I can barely see now. After this I ordered an 8x magnifying lamp.

I've been using 3/16 A2, and hand ground it into a Vee on diamond stones. I definitely need to temper less, the edge tends to roll after a couple minutes and needs touched up on the stone. It was fine on the mild steel and aluminum scrap I practiced on.

Eventually I want to get good enough to add this design to my lock plate, and to be able to do some simple vInes.

Latest posts

Back