• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit v. Factory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have observed a trend here and other sites that have For Sale sections. Folks are wanting more for an unfinished kit than a ready-to-go factory finished example. I don't get it. First, the kit requires additional investment in time and money and resources. Then, there is at least potential for some mishap with putting the kit together. Lastly, historically all the guns identified as a finished "kit" command a lower price than a factory original. I am mostly referring to Lyman, CVA, Traditions, Pedersoli type kits. I understand that a kit from Kibler is a whole different thing - and a finished gun usually commands quite a bit higher price. But those "standard" kits - what's the deal? Why would someone pay more for one over a fully finished factory gun?

I think some of the kits go high because they are kept unfinished for nostalgia reasons. Also many kit guns were put together poorly and require more wore than unfinished to be decent. I suspect all that adds to the value from some folk’s perspective.

I think some of the kits go high because they are kept unfinished for nostalgia reasons. Also many kit guns were put together poorly and require more wore than unfinished to be decent. I suspect all that adds to the value from some folk’s perspective.
I just bought an unfinished kit; NOS CVA big bore, sold on this site. I have every intention of building and shooting it. Not collecting things to sit in a box.

For some of us a kit is just a blank canvas, we take out the ugly and make something we like. I would only do this on a gun I intend to keep for myself. For someone without any basic gun building skills even a CVA kit can be a daunting task to complete, with the results often being a bit of a hack job.

Here is a TC kit example that I made into something I like. The top is stock factory TC cheekpiece, the bottom is what I did to my kit along with defining the lock panels and removing a ton of extra wood.

TC cheekpiece.jpg

TC cheek side.JPG

Last edited:
Another trend I am seeing more and more Kiblers being assembled for resale in the classifieds. Supposedly these kits require very little work other than finishing the wood and metal. People getting 800-$1000 for assembly seems to be the going rate over the price of the kit. Interesting to say the least.
Suppose they have something extra.
IMPO I'd like to see more light stains used.
Looking at dark reds and near black on a nice stick isn't as pretty as a light stain and bold stripes with swirles

I have a TC .50 Hawken Flinter. Bought in 1974 new. Was in a house fire in 2014. Urethane is bubbled, barrel browning is peeling. I cant find anyone to restore it.
I will reluctantly part with it as a kit rifle for the low low price of $800.
PM me if interested. Get now before demand increases price. Will throw in a couple of flints.
Guarantee no minie balls stuck in barrel.

You are paying some of these guys for their EXPERIENCE. Yes the Woodsrunner kits fit together like a glove with very little fitting required. But some of these guys are masters at their craft. Finishing wood and getting a beautiful finish isn't something one can do first time out and get the results of some of the rifles posted here.

I must be a weirdo. I find building is almost more fun than actually shooting.
You're not alone. I find that quiet time in my shop, carving, sanding, shaping, staining, fitting parts, etc, to be on-par with if not more satisfying than actual range time. Added benefits: no suffering the tacticool timmy's banging away incessantly with unmentionables, bugs trying to eat me alive and the longish drive to get there.

I love doing it, just not good anymore, been like since 1979 since I built anything. I was good but I need time. When I retire I will do wood again, loved it. But my reply to the question is alot of guys feel if the screw it together they "built" it and it's a custom. Per above lotta sets of $800.00 parts that were bult into a rifle worth less than a well done CVA. I'm afraid that's me right about these days. I have kit ready to go before I stain my ITW kibbler though, I'm afraid I would screw even that up.

Back