• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LOOKING FOR BUFFALO TONGUE RECIPES.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In days of yore, all the hunters would eat from a buffalo was tongue, hump and sometimes boss ribs as it had the most fat and was the most tender. There was a thriving trade in smoked or salted buffalo tongue to the east, so much so that many a less than honest hunters would kill cattle and send them back as "buffalo tongue". It was considered a "high delicacy" for the upper class.

Why Were Buffalo Killed For Their Tongues​

The majority of white buffalo hunters kill for their tongues and hides, leaving the carcasses on the Plains to rot. The buffalo tongue was the most common type of meat that hunters kept. Each tongue was purchased for 25 cents and sold in the markets, and 50 cents were sold in markets farthest east.
For sun dance ceremonies men’s warrior clubs would often provide buffalo tongues for the dance.
They were happy to kill just for the tongue.

Pickled tongue was a real favorite dish in the old days. I have made it any times. The American Buffalo association cookbook recipe is as follows
1 tbsp pickling spice. 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar. 1 medium onion,diced. 3 stalks celery, 1 tap pepper, 2 tbsp salt. Cover the tongue with water, add the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender. Let cool and remove outer skin. Slice and serve cool or cold.

The left overs of beef tongue tacos at Arrowrock Mo
IMG_5576.jpeg

Ha! I just found my "Buffalo Cook Book" published by the National Buffalo Association in 1989. TWO pages of buffalo tongue recipes!
001.jpg
002.jpg

The best buffalo liver to me is cut into strips, and roasted by the fire. Keep your liver hating friends away, if they try it, there wont be any left for you!

We've done plenty tongue boiled, then put on the coals. Skin, slice, eat.

Going against the tide, I consider buffalo hump to be a miserable chunk of gristle.

MORE TONGUE!
After posting the two pages from the Buffalo Cook Book, I realized I skipped two, additional pages! Here they are. More tongue options!
004.jpg005.jpg

Boil tongue in salted water, peppercorns and bay leaf. Peal the outside off. Slice thickly and fry lightly in olive oil.

Layer in casserole dish and cover with Tomate Frito, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with lots of bread.

Tomate Frito

In stock pot cover bottom of pot with 1/2 inch of quality olive oil, fry 1 chopped onion and a head (yes peel a complete head) of garlic. when onion is glassy add 2 large cans of tomato puree and then blend with an immersion blender to blend all the garlic and onion, salt to taste.

Tomate frito is also good over lightly fried cod. Cover it and bake at 350 for 30 minute also.

I also use it for pheasant that I quarter and fry in olive oil until lightly browned, cover and bake for 1 hour at 325

Liver I leave for the coyotes
My sentiments exactly. My mother is off-the-boat Danish, and we had tongue quite a bit growing up. She would just boil it or cook it in one of those old pot pressure cookers with the big valve on-top. Even if you just boil it for a couple of hours it's more tender and much more flavorful than even filet. What's left over is wonderful cold and sliced on a sandwich.

About every five-ten years or so I try liver again. It literally makes me gag, and I can't even swallow a tiny bite. No problems with most other sweet meats, but can't do liver.

The best buffalo liver to me is cut into strips, and roasted by the fire. Keep your liver hating friends away, if they try it, there wont be any left for you!

We've done plenty tongue boiled, then put on the coals. Skin, slice, eat.

Going against the tide, I consider buffalo hump to be a miserable chunk of gristle.
Mm and Indians ate a low fat diet. Dangerously low fat. As game is often fat poor. The high fat hump or beaver tail probably tastes pretty good to a fat starved hunter.
With plenty of fats in our diet today that changers our taste

I eat a very low carb, high protein diet and don't worry about fat or cholesterol (my blood work comes back 100% healthy and my LDL is 4!). The reason that Indians tend to be obese today is summed up in two words, "fry bread".
I served with a guy who was born on a rez had a Cherokee tribal card. Every time someone would light a cigarette he would mutter "Red man's revenge". Good guy.

Well, I'm not going to disparage anyone who likes buff tongue, heck I might even try some if I had the opportunity. Here's one I think I'll pass on though -moose muffle. Go to fourpoundsflour.com/the-history-dish-moose-face for how to prepare it. It even has photos.

I just would boil it in salted water, like a beef tongue. Check with Joy of Cooking for times. Off the top of my bald head, I think 1/2 hour per pound is about right. Sliced in a sandwich with condiments of your choice, life doesn't get much better than that!

A dandy way to eat liver is raw - sliced thin and dipped in bile from the gall bladder. This is how we eat our liver after freshly butchering a young bison cow. You need to develop a taste for it. The real bile is preferred to the green chili sauce put out by commercial makers.

Latest posts

Back