• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for front sight post for H&A underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mousegunguy

40 Cal
Reaction score
I recently picked up a .45 h&a buggy gun that’s missing the front sight post insert.
Does anyone have a lead on where I can find one?
Thanks
image.jpg

More and more with stuff like this we have to make it ourselves. Parts for anything is a problem. Parts for 50 year old obscure rifles are unlikely to be found.

That appears to be a round post with the back flattened at the top. I bet a piece of drill bit shank could make a usable substitute. Maybe a piece of nail shaft? Flattening the back is not really necessary with the sun shade. IF you wan the top thinner turn it in a lathe or use the drill and file method.

Is there a side set screw?
Is the post threaded?
You may need to turn a brass screw down and use it for the post.
This is what I have done with my home made sights.
View attachment 314297
View attachment 314298
No set screw. The post isn’t threaded into the barrel.
It’s a flat, round disk that pops into the groove in the hood.
image.jpg
The one on the bottom has the front sight post insert inserted
You can see the gap where the front sight post insert would go if I had one in this picture
image.jpg

More and more with stuff like this we have to make it ourselves. Parts for anything is a problem. Parts for 50 year old obscure rifles are unlikely to be found.

That appears to be a round post with the back flattened at the top. I bet a piece of drill bit shank could make a usable substitute. Maybe a piece of nail shaft? Flattening the back is not really necessary with the sun shade. IF you wan the top thinner turn it in a lathe or use the drill and file method.
I may hafta make something up but I’ll look around for awhile first.
Someone may have parts or an old set of marble sights kickin around

I have 4-5 sets of inserts that should fit. tab to tab is .597. disc is .464 or there abouts.
if they will work for your needs get me your address.
Thank you!!
They look very similar to the one in my H&A offhand except its has a third tab at 12 o’clock which yours do not.
Do you know what they originally went to?

Thank you!!
They look very similar to the one in my H&A offhand except its has a third tab at 12 o’clock which yours do not.
Do you know what they originally went to?
these were from a set of TC vernier and globe sights. bought several sets of sights and one set had double inserts.
they are the same as Lyman's as ADK says.

That looks like a Lyman #17 . Try Lyman disks. If those disks are the wrong size buy a Lyman sight.

I want to give a public ‘thank you’ to deerstalkert.
I received the disc yesterday. They’re not quite right but I think I can modify them easily enough.

Back