• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nipples: To Remove Or Not Remove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased this antique percussion conversion pistol from member bornintheussr here on the forum (photos posted here are courtesy of him). Appears to be early/mid 19th century but is in excellent condition.

I intend to fire this pistol occasionally (sparingly and with reduced powder charges), as I’m not much on wall hangers and dust collectors, and it got me to wondering…

I’ve always removed the nipples on my percussion firearms as part of the cleaning process. Is that recommended or not when it comes to shooting an original antique? If so, what if it doesn’t want to budge?

IMG_0481.jpeg
IMG_0482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have several originals and if I intend to fire them, then yes replace them. Wall hanger don't worry about them
Thanks for chiming in! I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding here. When you say “replace” them, are you alluding to sourcing a commercial replacement? Or is it safe to fire with the original nipple (assuming it’s not rusted in place and unable to be removed)?

I’d imagine it would be difficult (if not impossible) to track down a nipple that’s the correct thread size and pitch for an obscure antique pistol such as this.

I’d pop a cap to check the powder channel is clear, and point in a safe direction in case it’s loaded. I shoot an old smooth bore rifle 50 cal., 160 to 200 years old. Found the thread in the drum to be 1/4 X 28. There are many thread varieties available, you’ll have to find the right one. Light charge and thin patch, you won’t build up much pressure. She’s a beaut, enjoy it!

While you think about what to do dismount the barrel and flood it with a good penetrating oil. Then if you decide to not try to remove the nipple just wipe it down for display. On the other hand the longer it soaks in oil the less chance of having issues turning the nipple.
You won’t know what thread it is till you remove the nipple.

Thanks for chiming in! I just want to make sure I’m not misunderstanding here. When you say “replace” them, are you alluding to sourcing a commercial replacement? Or is it safe to fire with the original nipple (assuming it’s not rusted in place and unable to be removed)?

I’d imagine it would be difficult (if not impossible) to track down a nipple that’s the correct thread size and pitch for an obscure antique pistol such as this.
I'll do the best I can here, depending on the age and usage nipples are the weakest link in the chain. I've bought some originals that cleared just fine and got good venting through the nipple. Try to put a cap on and they dance around like a tophat in a cane, just simple wear.

I just purchased this antique percussion conversion pistol from member bornintheussr here on the forum (photos posted here are courtesy of him). Appears to be early/mid 19th century but is in excellent condition.

I intend to fire this pistol occasionally (sparingly and with reduced powder charges), as I’m not much on wall hangers and dust collectors, and it got me to wondering…

I’ve always removed the nipples on my percussion firearms as part of the cleaning process. Is that recommended or not when it comes to shooting an original antique? If so, what if it doesn’t want to budge?

View attachment 316665View attachment 316683
If you do decide to remove the original nipple and want to install a new modern nipple, find a machinist or toolmaker to confirm the thread size using the three wire method and a comparator or vision system. Standard equipment in any machine-shop. Once you have confirmed the correct thread size, shop around for a matching nipple.

From the looks of it, you weren’t the only one! I chewed on it for quite a while myself and decided I’d better pull the trigger before someone else did.

Thanks so much!
Congratulations on that pistol! It’s an awesome piece for sure. Part of my cleaning regimen is removing the nipples after I shoot. When done cleaning I apply anti seize and re install. So for me, I’d want to remove the nipple prior to firing to make sure it’s serviceable. I’d actually find a new nipple for shooting and preserve the original for when I display it. I’m with you, I definitely would want to shoot that pistol! Enjoy

Well, you don't have to remove the nipple every time you clean it ... but ... it's my usual practice to completely disassemble every new used gun I aquire, so ya, I think you should remove the nipple. Once. Cautiously. It should be removable for the gun to be "fully functional". And has been mentioned, don't assume it's a right-hand thread. And you might need to rig up a special nipple wrench for it. A nipple wrench that doesn't fit is going to give you a bad experience. I agree with the post above that recommends installing a new nipple and preserving the original. Depending, of course, on being able to get a proper replacement.

Nice quality original from a good seller !
I've been collecting & shooting mostly original firearms for a few decades & for safety reasons the nipples should always be replaced as often the vent has opened significantly due to corrosion.
I've seen several original percussion firearms that were fired with oversized vents where excessive blowby caused the hammer to be blown rearward with enough force to sever it from the tumbler.
STUCK NIPPLE & SCREW SOLUTION;
Soaking breech end of the barrel overnight in a 50/50 solution of acetone & auto transmission fluid or brake fluid should free-up the stuck threads.
For stuck lock screws, soak the entire lock overnight. For stuck screws elsewhere place a drop on head of the screw & allow to penetrate.
Once you determine the thread size that will determine if a modern replacement is available, if not will just need to drill & tap to fit.
I personally prefer using quality Treso nipples as replacements, this company makes a wide variety of nipple sizes to fit most commercially built original & replica firearms.
Enjoy shooting your historical pistol !
Relic shooter

Nice quality original from a good seller !
I've been collecting & shooting mostly original firearms for a few decades & for safety reasons the nipples should always be replaced as often the vent has opened significantly due to corrosion.
I've seen several original percussion firearms that were fired with oversized vents where excessive blowby caused the hammer to be blown rearward with enough force to sever it from the tumbler.
STUCK NIPPLE & SCREW SOLUTION;
Soaking breech end of the barrel overnight in a 50/50 solution of acetone & auto transmission fluid or brake fluid should free-up the stuck threads.
For stuck lock screws, soak the entire lock overnight. For stuck screws elsewhere place a drop on head of the screw & allow to penetrate.
Once you determine the thread size that will determine if a modern replacement is available, if not will just need to drill & tap to fit.
I personally prefer using quality Treso nipples as replacements, this company makes a wide variety of nipple sizes to fit most commercially built original & replica firearms.
Enjoy shooting your historical pistol !
Relic shooter
Thanks for the tips! I received the pistol today, and it’s everything I hoped for in many ways— far more beautiful than pictures can convey. I was, however, disappointed to discover a few hairline cracks in the stock. What’s more -as I was turning the pistol in my hands and admiring its beauty- the ramrod thimble fell off! It's disheartening when an eagerly anticipated item falls short of expectations, you know? Believe me when I say that I handled it with all the tender loving care as a museum curator would.

P.S. For those that are curious, I mic’d the barrel and discovered it to be a .58 caliber (.575, to be exact).

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
@Idahomie seems to be too common folks dont mention small imperfections, cracks and such. Even on "new old stock". Not directed at anyone, but I've seen my share of it. Seem to get better results when it was someone's "personal" gun, rather than something to resell. I personally feel it needs to be mentioned....it's a respect thing for the potential buyer.

@Idahomie seems to be too common folks dont mention small imperfections, cracks and such. Even on "new old stock". Not directed at anyone, but I've seen my share of it. Seem to get better results when it was someone's "personal" gun, rather than something to resell. I personally feel it needs to be mentioned....it's a respect thing for the potential buyer.

Ain’t that the truth? I’ve been somewhat unlucky lately. I purchased another pistol with a Becky lock last week only to discover it had a cracked frizzen. Fortunately, I was able to source the very last replacement frizzen that R.E. Davis had in stock— quite possibly the last one in the country! Of course, now -instead of enjoying my new pistol- I’m relegated to waiting until I can drill this “as cast” frizzen and have it hardened by a local blacksmith.

I really feel these cracks have rendered the pistol unshootable, and I’m not about to devalue it further by attempting a repair. It is -for all intents and purposes- a wall hanger now, and my whole purpose in purchasing it was to fire it occasionally with reduced powder charges.

In any case, it’s a real bummer because the seller appeared to have excellent feedback, and so I trusted his appraisal of the pistol as being in “excellent collector grade” condition and gave them more weight than even the photos themselves.

Back