• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Tumbling With Graphite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro Libertate

40 Cal
Reaction score
It was suggested on a bullet casting forum that I try putting a squirt of dry graphite in with my round balls and allow them to tumble in a rock tumbler for a few hours. I opted to let these go overnight. During the casting process, some of my bullets ended up less than perfect, with small divots, casting and sprue marks left by the Lyman mold. This method resulted in balls that were perfectly round, with a shiny, hammered finish appearance. Give it a try— I think you’ll be most pleased with the results!

IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9933.jpeg
IMG_9934.jpeg

It was suggested on a bullet casting forum that I try putting a squirt of dry graphite in with my round balls and allow them to tumble in a rock tumbler for a few hours. I opted to let these go overnight. During the casting process, some of my bullets ended up less than perfect, with small divots, casting and sprue marks left by the Lyman mold. This method resulted in balls that were perfectly round, with a shiny, hammered finish appearance. Give it a try— I think you’ll be most pleased with the results!

View attachment 310331View attachment 310330View attachment 310332View attachment 310333

Not sure what the graphite is for but it did a good job.

I don't have a tumbler but do have a vibrating case cleaner. By removing the media and putting a layer of balls in the bottom they come out nicely in a few hours. However, if any reading decide to do the vibrator be sure not to stack layers. They need to be able to roll around. Stacking gives up flat spots.

Not sure what the graphite is for but it did a good job.

I believe the graphite kind of amalgamates with the lead dust and helps it to settle. I’ve read that graphite used to be used to line cannons and resulted in better lubricity of the bore. When rolling the ball between my fingertips, it feels substantially slicker to the touch than the untumbled balls, which may owe to the graphite or simply the polishing action of being tumbled. The balls have taken on this obsidian color and almost appear as though they’re magnetite, although -oddly enough- they don’t leave any black residue on your hands when handled.

Interesting stuff here - Keep us posted on how this is working out for you.

I'm thinking it wouldn’t correct visible casting imperfections but might hide them.
I could see where if you had deep fissures throughout your round balls that you’d be better off simply returning ‘em to the sprue pile and back into the pot as opposed to trying to obfuscate what could be accuracy-robbing imperfections. But for minute blemishes? If I can turn a round ball over in my palm and can’t discern where a sprue or fault once was, that’s good enough for me! I think they’re every bit as perfectly spherical as any Hornady/Speer ball I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 310331View attachment 310330View attachment 310332View attachment 310333
Has this improved your groups? and how much.

better yet, teflon tape patch!

We’ll now you’re just being silly! 😉

The patch doesn’t stay with the ball the whole length of the barrel during firing, so I should think there’s plenty of opportunity for the ball’s lubricity to affect velocity. Even if this increase in speed is slight, who doesn’t want to achieve the most velocity they possibly can?

I’ve read that cannon barrels were once lined with graphite to improve ease of loading, but mine is only a theory. Using a chronograph on untumbled round balls versus tumbled without graphite and finally tumbled with graphite ought to settle any debate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back