• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very stuck minie ball, tried everything having to pull the breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you missed is the OP took it to a gunsmith who removed the breech plug and got the bullet out.
I don't really have any issues about removing a breech plug as I've done so on occasion but it does mess up a close fitted draw filed line/finish between plug an and barrel joint, usually.

Before retiring as a BP builder & gunsmith I removed numerous loads from several original rifles, pistols & muskets without breech plug removal.

My recommendation;
FIRST MAKE SURE THE STUCK MINI OR BALL IS SEATED TO THE BREACH AREA !!
Always use a cleaning rod to assure the stuck Mini is seated at the breach area. If stuck use a brass or steel rod to seat the Mini down to the breach area before firing.
Failure to seat a projectile at the breach with a full load can create a bulge & ruin the barrel.
Now that the pyrodex has been contaminated with oil or solvents remove the nipple & immerse 6"
of the barrel's breach area in acetone or rubbing alcohol for a couple hours to remove the oil.

After soaking, allow the breech area to drain & air-dry dry for a couple more hours, then blow through the nipple's threads with compressed air to remove any remaining residual crud.
After breach area has dried, trickle 20-30 grains of 4F or 3F 'real' Black Powder through the empty nipple port, replace nipple
& fire the stuck Mini- Ball out.
*Not to fret, very few of us old-timers can claim we never dry-balled a load 🤣
Relic shooter
Some of us claim to have never dry balled but if true we've left out one little word........ YET!

Back