• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.

I would go with the carbine. Used brass instruments are easily found in this area. Cannot remember the last time I seen a carbine as fine as the one you have pictured.

In the States a firearm holds value. A musical instrument loses value unless it is special. The trumpet you pictured is sweet and not overly expensive but the rifle is too. How likely are you to find either in the future. I’d get the musket.

Hold your horses until you find a genuine Parker-Hale Musketoon, like I did in 1974. Here is a 100m group - 60gr of Swiss #4, 575gr Minié - I'm told that most of 'em shoot left, like mine, and I can't be a$$ed to aim off.

1714581569981.png

Here it is with my Quebec Garrison Artillery S****r.
1714581651331.png

If you want to have some fun, go dig through some really old threads. I've been looking at threads in the Handguns forum about Ruger Old Army revolvers. You'll read, "I just picked up a ROA new in the box for $275. Did I make a good deal?" Someone else said they bought theirs new in 197X for $115 or some such...

Makes one realize that if you find a gun you really want, it may not be worth quibbling over a few bucks to buy it. Just buy it - shoot it - and enjoy it. Over time you most likely won't lose any money. I've made some poor trades in my life for sure, but even at that I don't think I own a single gun that has lost value over time.

This isn't so much a 'What did you do' than a 'What would you do'. Like many here my finances for my hobbies are stretched and I can only buy one new 'thing' every six months or so. This means that over the past 2 years of rejoining this activity I have two pistols and two rifles. I am also into music, and have several guitars, a mandolin and two double basses. This is where I need your advice. Recently I have been thinking about getting into brass instruments, in particular the Trumpet (or Cornet). I have seen a rather nice one for the lowish price of 150 Euros (about 170 Dollars). on the other hand, I have spotted this little beauty for sale for 700 Euros. Its being sold as a 'Confederate cavalry carbine 58 caliber'. Italian made, by Antonio Zoli and Co. I've always wanted a musketoon to 'balance out' my long guns. What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.
Since I can’t carry a tune in a bucket my vote goes to the Musketoon!

The glue experiment: I don't know how long I boiled it but I added water constantly. Shut it off when I was done in the shop. So today it is a firm gel. Still has the rawhide in it. Gonna add more water and warm it to see what happens.

View attachment 316367
Kinda looks like Onion Soup 😬

Finished another knife sheath. Then decided to lay my trade blanket to see if I have enough items to make it worthwhile at the Mill City Rendezvous.
Another beauty Tom.
This isn't so much a 'What did you do' than a 'What would you do'. Like many here my finances for my hobbies are stretched and I can only buy one new 'thing' every six months or so. This means that over the past 2 years of rejoining this activity I have two pistols and two rifles. I am also into music, and have several guitars, a mandolin and two double basses. This is where I need your advice. Recently I have been thinking about getting into brass instruments, in particular the Trumpet (or Cornet). I have seen a rather nice one for the lowish price of 150 Euros (about 170 Dollars). on the other hand, I have spotted this little beauty for sale for 700 Euros. It’s being sold as a 'Confederate cavalry carbine 58 caliber'. Italian made, by Antonio Zoli and Co. I've always wanted a musketoon to 'balance out' my long guns. What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.
im with TDM I can’t hold a tune either but that musket is pretty looking .

Second coat of "less cut" Tung oil on the stock tonight. There are still a few thirsty areas on the stock (near the wrist and underside of the butt....where the stock has cut across the "curly" part of the wood...but most areas are starting to show signs of having their thirst quenched ;)

I figure I have one more slightly thinned coat and then I should be able to move into straight oil....then comes the waiting game for the Tung oil to cure up so I can wax and be ready for final assembly.

Thankfully, I have everything I need to finish the barrel and cast a bunch of roundballs in the interim ;)

Here's my new to me Ruger Old Army. I'm ready for all manner of imaginary trouble on the trail...
The knife is by @Runewolf1973
View attachment 316924
I'm guessing that knife handle is an oil finished curly maple (or similar). I am getting the same chatoyance with my Colonial, though stationary images don't do the effect justice.

This isn't so much a 'What did you do' than a 'What would you do'. Like many here my finances for my hobbies are stretched and I can only buy one new 'thing' every six months or so. This means that over the past 2 years of rejoining this activity I have two pistols and two rifles. I am also into music, and have several guitars, a mandolin and two double basses. This is where I need your advice. Recently I have been thinking about getting into brass instruments, in particular the Trumpet (or Cornet). I have seen a rather nice one for the lowish price of 150 Euros (about 170 Dollars). on the other hand, I have spotted this little beauty for sale for 700 Euros. Its being sold as a 'Confederate cavalry carbine 58 caliber'. Italian made, by Antonio Zoli and Co. I've always wanted a musketoon to 'balance out' my long guns. What do you reckon? I will by the end of the week accept the advice of the majority who kindly take the time to answer and reply to this post. Madame Harrison has agreed that should the majority go with the musketoon, thats fine. But it uses up all my 'Nice Things' budget for the rest of the year.
Well, many thanks to all who assisted wit my dilemma here. I think it's pretty clear where my money will go! The trumpet can wait.

Latest posts

Back