• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a trigger guard for my jager type look alike My pet fox dear little thing

Attachments

• 19304C0A-9FC3-4B71-9978-9A7EF6253E4A.jpeg
    19304C0A-9FC3-4B71-9978-9A7EF6253E4A.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • BE87AF22-D59C-4200-8334-0570FAFA377F.jpeg
    BE87AF22-D59C-4200-8334-0570FAFA377F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 6A1EBB0A-CF6C-47B8-9143-30AF34EA0A14.jpeg
    6A1EBB0A-CF6C-47B8-9143-30AF34EA0A14.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 13A6778F-C2B1-4087-937B-DC9F47137318.jpeg
    13A6778F-C2B1-4087-937B-DC9F47137318.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1FB8B1BE-349B-47EB-9A4E-94D1EE9548DF.jpeg
    1FB8B1BE-349B-47EB-9A4E-94D1EE9548DF.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • EB6A5015-72E1-4AB7-9234-B8808A41F102.jpeg
    EB6A5015-72E1-4AB7-9234-B8808A41F102.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2FA1B16F-06C5-49F8-B963-B9BA5EDE3FDC.jpeg
    2FA1B16F-06C5-49F8-B963-B9BA5EDE3FDC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 872EE4AE-8C45-4C95-AF7F-C34E94567C14.jpeg
    872EE4AE-8C45-4C95-AF7F-C34E94567C14.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
That reminds me of once cracking a die in a vise. And come to think of it, it would be a shame to snap off a newly made "rod" that thin a diameter, because I didn't support it, by not gradually running it up a supporting Aluminum sleeve (held in a vise) as the die is going the opposite direction close to the top of the vise. I will be using such a sleeve to protect the drill press chuck jaws. I have a 1/4" diameter Al tube coming...all 12 inches of it. Will have to drill a section so that rod will just pass through.
Tue 14 May 2024: Last night I did some side plate vs two stock pilot holes to determine once and for all if the nice cast brass plate would accommodate the machine screw heads while not sloping the preformed plate. So, no go. But the rolled brass plate from Pecatonica has the rear "hump" adequately high to work perfectly. Have not inlet or drilled it...yet. Just have it scotch taped to precisely spot the marks to dimple. All day I have been working to turn down the diameter of a 3 1/2" zinc plated steel screw 8-32" to the diameter for my 5-40" die. I suspect this screw is not zinc coated steel, but stainless steel. I have the only other such screw picking in vinegar. BTW, the milling chips/fuzz particles are being picked up by the now magnetized screw or vise versa. Duuh, static electricity. Geez, I'm getting old. Whew, also, I just located the 3 nuts and the drill, tap, and die.

Last edited:
That reminds me of once cracking a die in a vise. And come to think of it, it would be a shame to snap off a newly made "rod" that thin a diameter, because I didn't support it, by not gradually running it up a supporting Aluminum sleeve (held in a vise) as the die is going the opposite direction close to the top of the vise. I will be using such a sleeve to protect the drill press chuck jaws. I have a 1/4" diameter Al tube coming...all 12 inches of it. Will have to drill a section so that rod will just pass through.
Also I successfully completed an order process for some Goex XXX!

Got back to taking a look at my hide glue experiment. It has completely dried out and is very hard and tough. What I read said to dry it and crush it into small grains then reconstitute when needed. Apparently it can spoil like the hide itself if left wet.

I need to bed a CVA tang and will use the hide glue and some sawdust instead of epoxy. Wouldn't be the first thing I had to do over. 🤣

20240514_082742_copy_304x406.jpg

Working on my Creek war club today. Did some more sanding & shaping. Have the blade installed and pinned. It fought me most of the way, broke my next to last 1/8” bit trying to open up the wood in the head, and of course the steel was too hard to drill once I marked the pin hole, had to wrap the blade in a wet towel and used the torch to soften the spot for the pin, and stabbed myself in the palm. So even though unfinished the club has been bloodied. Glad I didn’t have the final edge on it. Still a lot more to do on it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Got back to taking a look at my hide glue experiment. It has completely dried out and is very hard and tough. What I read said to dry it and crush it into small grains then reconstitute when needed. Apparently it can spoil like the hide itself if left wet.

I need to bed a CVA tang and will use the hide glue and some sawdust instead of epoxy. Wouldn't be the first thing I had to do over. 🤣

View attachment 319818

Received my slixshot nipples today and installed them on my 1858. I then decided to pull the nipples on my other three bp revolvers and clean the threads and lube with Super Lube. Tomorrow I will burn some powder. Doc says that I can’t shoot a long gun yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Received my slixshot nipples today and installed them on my 1858. I then decided to pull the nipples on my other three bp revolvers and clean the threads and lube with Super Lube. Tomorrow I will burn some powder. Doc says that I can’t shoot a long gun yet.
Sounds like you're on the mend. Congratulations! Some folks bounce back better'n/faster'n others, for sure. My wife's a retired R.N., so I got very little sympathy when disobeying doctor's orders. In the long run, of course she was right. Black powder smoke is rumored to have medicinal properties, Best wishes, sir !!

Sounds like you're on the mend. Congratulations! Some folks bounce back better'n/faster'n others, for sure. My wife's a retired R.N., so I got very little sympathy when disobeying doctor's orders. In the long run, of course she was right. Black powder smoke is rumored to have medicinal properties, Best wishes, sir !!
Thanks Sheriff, Monday the cardiologist cut me loose. I just have to take it easy for a while. This forum was a God Send for me during my ordeal!

Working on my Creek war club today. Did some more sanding & shaping. Have the blade installed and pinned. It fought me most of the way, broke my next to last 1/8” bit trying to open up the wood in the head, and of course the steel was too hard to drill once I marked the pin hole, had to wrap the blade in a wet towel and used the torch to soften the spot for the pin, and stabbed myself in the palm. So even though unfinished the club has been bloodied. Glad I didn’t have the final edge on it. Still a lot more to do on it tomorrow.
I do not know anything about war clubs or anything used to persuade an opponent to cease and desist but that little trinket looks murderous beyond hateful! Be careful that the ATF doesn’t see it or they may want to classify it as “any other weapon” and tax you $200. 🧐

I do not know anything about war clubs or anything used to persuade an opponent to cease and desist but that little trinket looks murderous beyond hateful! Be careful that the ATF doesn’t see it or they may want to classify it as “any other weapon” and tax you $200. 🧐
Yes, it is a rather “single purpose” weapon. But when finished it will protect the wall where it hangs.

Working on two trigger projects. One is a rebuild of this CVA single trigger. That return spring is steel of course and the trigger is brass. The trigger is identical to the trigger used on the CVA/Traditions Kentucky rifle. On the Kentucky there is no return spring and this one pictured illustrates a good reason why not!!!

Not a good idea to have brass and hard steel Working surfaces together. The brass trigger had gouges in it from the spring and the trigger would hang up. I filled the surface of the trigger smooth and that made it functional again but it's also just starting over on the road to the same problem. So I'm grinding and filing out a steel replacement.

20240514_145304_copy_265x353.jpg

Also working on a single trigger replacement for the set trigger for another CVA. Shaped a trigger bar and soldered a post onto it. The post is re purposed and resized from a previous trigger fabrication. Need to gri d and file a trigger for it. The bar is over length. I'll size it with the trigger installed to the optimal position.

20240514_143623_copy_415x311.jpg

20240514_143636_copy_406x304.jpg

Mr. James Kibler, the great enabler!
Well, I succumbed. And I was on the Fowler list. Weak as a was I pulled the trigger on a Kibler Fowler in 20 gauge.
It can’t be helped, I am hopelessly enamored with flintlocks and already have his Colonial and love it.
He states shipped to commence in about 1 month. My bride has given full approval, no need to hide the crate. She is better than gold. To say I’m excited is an understatement. Will keep everyone updated on the project!
Snoot

Back