• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED “H. New” .58 Cal Smoothbore Antique Percussion Pistol, Early 19th Century, Flintlock Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idahomie

40 Cal
Reaction score
Up for grabs is what I believe to be an early 19th century percussion (converted from its original configuration as a flintlock) pistol. While I’ve been unable to find any information regarding the maker (H. New), this firearm greatly resembles a Napoleonic-era Bristol-made Gillet pistol I’d come across on an auction site in terms of its engraving style and overall design. The barrel is a smoothbore and it mics at approximately .58 caliber; bore condition is good with only minor freckling. When it came to me, it had a couple of minute cracks (one above the wedge on the left hand side and another below it on the right) that I was able to imbue with Titebond Ultimate via the use of a syringe; these areas are no doubt stronger than they ever were before and the repair has diminished the appearance of said cracks considerably. It also had a loose ramrod thimble, which I had professionally silver-soldered back onto the under-lug of the barrel.

While it does retain its original nipple, I discovered that a T/C Renegade nipple will fit it perfectly and I will include one in its sale. I have test-fired this firearm with a blank load of 30 grains, but I have not attempted to fire it with a projectile. Includes a .58 Lee mold. The pistol functions perfectly with a very positive half and full cock, and I believe it to be sound. While I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it regularly, inspection by a professional gunsmith is recommended.

I’m asking $1,000 shipped for this fine pistol.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1299.jpeg
    IMG_1299.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1295.jpeg
    IMG_1295.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1294.jpeg
    IMG_1294.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1288.jpeg
    IMG_1288.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1289.jpeg
    IMG_1289.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
These are comparisons of other firearms I’ve come across through my online research, leading me to believe that the H. New pistol was produced in or around London/Bristol in the early 18th century.

Attachments

• IMG_0721.png
    IMG_0721.png
    338 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0720.jpeg
    IMG_0720.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0719.jpeg
    IMG_0719.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0717.png
    IMG_0717.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0716.png
    IMG_0716.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Up for grabs is what I believe to be an early 19th century percussion (converted from its original configuration as a flintlock) pistol. While I’ve been unable to find any information regarding the maker (H. new), this firearm greatly resembles a Napoleonic-era Bristol-made Gillet pistol I’d come across on an auction site in terms of its engraving style and overall design. The barrel is a smoothbore and it mics at approximately .58 caliber; bore condition is good with only minor freckling. When it came to me, it had a couple of minute cracks (one above the wedge on the left hand side and another below it on the right) that I was able to imbue with Titebond Ultimate via the use of a syringe; these areas are no doubt stronger than they ever were before and the repair has diminished the appearance of said cracks considerably. It also had a loose ramrod thimble, which I had professionally silver-soldered back onto the under-lug of the barrel.

While it does retain its original nipple, I discovered that a T/C Renegade nipple will fit it perfectly and I will include one in its sale. I have test-fired this firearm with a blank load of 30 grains, but I have not attempted to fire it with a projectile. Includes a .58 Lee mold. The pistol functions perfectly with a very positive half and full cock, and I believe it to be sound. While I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot it regularly, inspection by a professional gunsmith is recommended,

I’m asking $1,000 shipped for this fine pistol.

Another H. New pistol, and this is a nice as the last one.

Really would like to know something about this builder.
It’s as nice because it’s the same pistol. 😉

The seller, bornintheussr, didn’t disclose the aforementioned issues. Those issues have been resolved, and it’s now back up for sale. I purchased two Kiblers in the past as many weeks, and so it’s time for me to pass this one along.

It’s as nice because it’s the same pistol. 😉

The seller, bornintheussr, didn’t disclose the aforementioned issues. Those issues have been resolved, and it’s now back up for sale. I purchased two Kiblers in the past as many weeks, and so it’s time for me to pass this one along.
I remember that thread as well as the original listing, but except for the butt cap these photos look like a totally different gun.

Did you oil the stock?

I remember that thread as well as the original listing, but except for the butt cap these photos look like a totally different gun.

Did you oil the stock?
Huh! That’s an interesting observation.

I simply applied some Renaissance Wax. bornintheussr took his pictures using on camera flash and they left a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back