• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cleaning brush

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrd

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just wondering if most folks have THE BRASS BRUSH IN THEIR CLEANING RITUAL. I ALWAYS HEAR I SWAB IT WITH THIS OR THAT AND NEVER HEAR ABOUT A BRUSH. I MYSELF ALWAYS USE ONE AFTER THE PATCHES COME OUT CLEAN AND THEN I WET IT DOWN AGAIN, AND MAN IT LOOKS LIKE STARTING ALL OVER . To ME THAT IS CLEAN; JUST WONDERING .

If you choose to use a brush make sure you ONLY use a brush that is locked to the shaft and use it with a solid range rod NOT the wood rod on the gun, and finally like O'Brian said give it a turn before retracting. Cheap brushes and rods account for 99% of issues of a stuck brush.

th

Yea got that stuck down there good. I cried a little fighting getting it out.

Never used one since.

Very rarely use a brush but...

As discussed above, turn it to get the bristles to lay down somewhat. I usually do this before I even have the brush completely in the bore and continue to turn it all the way down. Once you get the bristles to flex they usually continue to do so quite easily.

This is of course using a sturdy metal range rod at home with the gun secured in the vise.

I only use it when working on the most stubborn fouling/rust, as in the basket case rifle I bought last spring, for routine cleaning it is not needed.

Latest posts

Back