• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

000 buckshot in GM .36 barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fw707

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting (or building) a .36 caliber rifle with a Green Mountain barrel. I know the 000 buckshot is .350 diameter, but I'd like to hear from somebody that shoots it to know how it loads and shoots. I like to use pillow ticking for patching, and I was wondering if the fit is tight enough.

Thanks!

Hornady 000 buck is uniform, clean, and shoots very well out of my 36, but it isn't a GM barrel. You can take 10 balls out of a box and ten pieces of buck. Mix them together and try to figure which is which. I can't tell and my gun can't either. That is Hornady brand. Some of the other brands are supposed to be different sizes and different hardnesses.

I use the Hornady 000 in my .36 Colerain and it works fine. I save my lead now for casting larger balls.

My buddy had a bag of buckshot and he shot them, they shot ok, but had dimples on them. Don't know what brand. They wern't swaged thats for sure. Dilly

I shoot buckshot out of my .32 with great accuracy. I just bought a .36 GM so I could do the same thing with 000.

I've got a GM 14" barrel on my custom .36 target pistol and shoot OOO Hornady w/ pillow ticking. It shoots great!!! :thumbsup:

I use 000 in my under hammer also. Works great. I normally use .15 Ticking and off the bench I can get 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch groups when I do my part. I upped the load to 30 grains of FFF for the best accuracy. 50 grains of FF does fine but fouls the barrel rather quickly.

Josh. Probably most lead today has some small part of antimony in it. It does not seem to cause any problems, particularly in these very small calibers. A very small amount of powder sends these balls out the muzzle at " gee-whiz " speeds, and that requires a lot of push on the ball when it begins. The balls upset quite nicely and push the patching into the grooves.

Awesome. Since My .36 will be done in about a month I guess my next question is where is the best price on Hornady 000? Midsouth has it for $15.38 for 5#. Anybody have it cheaper? Thanks

Josh

Thanks everybody for the replies. Looks like it workd just fine! :grin:

Josh, the buckshot from Midway works out to about $3 per 100 balls, not including shipping. :winking:

I bought my last box from Graf's for 11$ retail, but that has been 2 years now. I hope it hasn't gone up that much! I have a box of Hornady 350 roundball and a box of buck. They shoot the same in my gun using the pre-lubed Basspro brand patches. If I started using the max 60 grain loads, I think I would want harder than pure while looking for an accuracy load at that level. Get the biggest patches they have and each one will provide several loads for the 36. One package of patches, one box of buck, two pounds of powder, and a lot of caps or flints!

Assuming that the ball weighs 70 grains, you would have 100 balls to the pound. ( 7000 grains.) 5lbs. would give you 500 balls. If your diameter is less than .360, you will get a few more balls in the pound.

500 balls for $15 ain't a bad deal.
If your diameter is less than .360, you will get a few more balls in the pound.
000 buck is supposed to be .350 right? Are there consistancy issues with buckshot?

Josh

Hornady says their .350 Swaged RB weighs 65 grains. That is 107 ball per pound, or 538 in a 5 lb. bag. There are differences between buck shot round balls, and those that a cast. Cast balls come in all kinds of diameters, which is why I used the heavier amount in helping you estimate how many ball you will have in a 5 lb bag of 000 buchshot.

Buy a bag and count them, to know exactly how many you get. Don't be surprised if there is a ball or two difference from my estimates, one way or another. Its all in how the machines that load the bags are set up. Smart companies always err on the side of giving you a few extra.

I ain't that worried about a few balls one way or the other. I was just curious. A close estimate is good enough. And I don't have enough free time to sit down and count a big bag of little balls :nono:. Thanks paul

Josh

Back