• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Colt Navy that powerful??????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we worry too much about one shot stops.
If someone needs to be shot, they deserve to be shot at least twice.
I have reason to believe that when the “shootee” is hit multiple times, the various calibers all perform pretty much the same.
I believe FMJ bullets with FLAT NOSES (wide meplat) are a good compromise in auto pistols, and I use them in my carry guns when I can. They are often hard to come by.
In .380 I buy Winchester white box FMJ FP when I stumble onto some.
In a 23 year period I responded to over 50 shots fired calls. I can tell you from first hand experience the FMJ is NOT what you want to shoot someone meaning to do you harm with, except head or spine shots.

In a 23 year period I responded to over 50 shots fired calls. I can tell you from first hand experience the FMJ is NOT what you want to shoot someone meaning to do you harm with, except head or spine shots.
Did you ever see wounds caused by wide meplat FMJ bullets?
They are not common at all. Round nose is 99.9% of what is made.
I only use them in my .380’s .

Look up "Defensive Handgun Loads" it was compiled based on the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow in their study of thousands of actual shooting results. Dated but still a great reference.

It lists the best loads from a 22LR and up and for a 380 the best are not FMJ's

Attachments

• Defensive Handgun loads long version.doc
    89 KB · Views: 0
Pardon me, but unless you can load a full metal jacket round, (a conical, I suppose it would have to be) into a C&B, should we be discussing or at least comparing the average stopping, first round kill of say, a .36 cal. to a .44 cal. C&B? Have stated before. om this forum that I sometimes carry my .44 New Army for self-defense. Too often, I have had to display my weapon to wannabe outlaw. I have seen the difference expressions on their faces upon being confronted by a small automatic, even a large automatic and 12 inches of dark blue revolver. Usually, but not always they suddenly decide they would rather be somewhere else.

Any gun is capable of being carried effectively for self defense, if you understand the capabilities of both yourself and the round being fired. Yes, some are better than others, and some are overkill. Just know the point of aim vs. point of impact, understand the penetration and expansion of the round fired, where to hit to achieve maximum damage, and practice at different ranges to verify you can hit the required poi under different situations.

Back in my 20s I went to a range with two of my uncles. One was retired Marine and the other a Army Reservist/Police officer. They carried larger calibers and I had my little pocket .22 cal. They were effective at longer ranges than me so long as they had opportunity to take aim. But when I talked them into running drills where they needed to fire quickly, I could hit the longer range targets that they missed. When you take away their time to take aim, their effective range was less than mine with my little pea shooter.

Under those circumstances, so long as I understand the round and the required shot placement for maximum effectiveness, my little gun was as effective as theirs, if not more.

A cannon is ineffective if you can't hit the target.

Back