• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 1/2 oz #6 shot for 12 ga and buckshot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing that technique. With muzzle choked barrels, your method makes a lot of sense. My guns are all cylinder bore, but Makesumsmoke, who first reported this way of making shot cups, also was doing it for his choked shotgun barrels. As was Captn Fred, who also worked with him on the project.

My thought is to make a separate short starter to form these cups, but the secret still has to be centering the patches on the mouth of the barrel, before pushing the fabric into the barrel. your approach of forming it over the end of a small than choke size pipe has obvious merit.

I was thinking in terms of using a short starter just as they are used putting a RB into a patch and down the muzzle. I am substituting a smaller OS card to help center the strip at the muzzle and help to form the cup as the strip and card are pushed into the muzzle.

I don't think one will work better than the other. I don't think one will be " faster" to use than the other. I personally try to get away from the idea that anything to do with MLers can be done "Fast"! :nono: :shocked2: if you want it done RIGHT! :shocked2: :v :bow: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Paul,
Do you know what sort of lube they are using on the ticking cups. Got a big spring turkey hunt planned and this sounds like something I am going to experiment with. Chris

Makesumsmoke was using Ballistol. I think any vegetable oil-the cheap stuff you use for cooking, or the more expensive Olive Oil-- will do the job as well. Mixing oil with a bit of beeswax will also work, provided you have an end product that is very soft, and will STICK the fabric cup to the metal bore long enough to let you fill the cup with lead shot. Crisco shortening will also work. :thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
Makesumsmoke was using Ballistol. I think any vegetable oil-the cheap stuff you use for cooking, or the more expensive Olive Oil-- will do the job as well. Mixing oil with a bit of beeswax will also work, provided you have an end product that is very soft, and will STICK the fabric cup to the metal bore long enough to let you fill the cup with lead shot. Crisco shortening will also work. :thumbsup:

Yes it does :thumbsup: I made my own grease from olive oil and bees wax however my latest tin full is heated beef fat off the carcuss and that mixed with olive oil to keep it soft. Works very good and protects the gun inside and out and is good for the skin.

Brits.

Latest posts

Back