• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1/48" twist and conicals

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walks with fire said:
Thanks White Buffalo, that's what I am looking for. I don't want to shoot the exotic stuff; Just regular Great Plains, Buffalo Ball-ets, and TC Maxi and Maxi-Hunters from 240-385 grains for a 50 caliber. My 1/28" twist won't shoot them and don't intend to lob a bus at whitetails under 100 yards. I guess to get exceptable accuracy in the 1/28 twist I need to go 450 grains or more--no thanks! I think I may just get the barrel and try them out for myself.

50 cal 1-28 GM barrel 385 gr buffalo bullet over wonder wad and 80 gr FFg, five shots at 50 yds. Sighted as is it's right on at 90 yrs, group a little bigger. :v

50cal50yds.jpg

P.S. someone else had a RB load worked out for this barrel, I think it was 60 gr FFFg (or FFg)? Would save powder and lead on a deer.

one thing i like about my hawken is that it shoots both with some accuracy.not the best but groups are not everything when it comes to hunting.one thing i"m curious about is this tracking straight. i want to use my .50 for a moose hunt this fall and i was going to use a maxi-ball.now i don"t know. not that i"m guestioning your post but have you shot anything with a maxi-ball or is it what you have read? i would like to hear from others who have used the bullets for hunting big game not deer. we all know that the rounball has proven a excellent choice for deer but i would like to know what to use on the bigger species.

Dan Phariss said:
"...on larger animals where the extra penetration is supposed to help, when fired out of 48" twists the bullets do not track straight through the animal, thus the intended internal target is missed by a deflected bullet..."
:hmm: :hmm: I think you might have gone a little too far out on the limb with this statement...if you've got unimpeachable science to back that up of course we'd probably all like to see it but I think it's too generalized.

I've killed a number of deer with TC's .45cal/255grn Maxi-Hunters and they've always been devastating, no wandering off from it's track, etc.

I have seen 1 or 2 posts in about 8 years (but only 1 or 2) where it's been stated that a "Maxi-BALL" has deflected off course inside an animal, but that's not enough instances to make an across the board conclusion that bullets are no good...and if it was, it would be a function of the Maxi-BALL design (different from a Maxi-HUNTER design) and velocity than a 1:48" twist anyway.

My .02 cents :v

Mr Hawken said:
"...I want to use my .50 for a moose hunt this fall and i was going to use a maxi-ball..."
I found the Hornady 385grn Great Plains bullet to be an excellent one and if I was going after moose with only a .50cal, it's what I would use.
100-110grns Goex 2F, and an Oxyoke wonderwad over the powder...point small end at moose, pull trigger, take photos, start field dressing.

Mad Proffesor,

That's good shooting with the GM 1-28 barrel. I guess I just need to try some wonder wads under the powder and maybe I could get them to group out of my barrel. That is just the load I want to use also. I have got to get out and shoot my 1-28 twist Accusporter more and maybe I can find a way to get it to shoot like your barrel. Thanks for the post. I would be very happy if I can get mine to group like that.

have killed about 12 black taild deer with a .50 rifle and conicals 410 grs. and 385 grs all have went all the way through. Went to a .58 560 grs and only killed two deer and they went through also. On elk I have never had a pass through. I have killed 2 of them and seen eight or so killed and never seen a pass through. with .54 and .50 powder charges in the 90 to 100 grs.

Well I'm not so sure that Sir Samuel Baker did shoot round balls. Baby was supposed to be a 4 bore and the projectile weighed 8 ox. That doesn't sound very round to me. :shake:
Baby was a 2 bore firing an 8oz explosive shell. Sir Samuel baker was a big strong guy and even he did not like firing it. 4 bores (.93) were fairly common stopping rifles. Can’t imagine firing at a cranky, charging Cape buffalo and losing sight of him a 8 yards in the smoke cloud of the right barrel. Cordite must have been a very welcome invention.

Back