• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 week to Africa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The countdown is on! I fly out next Friday afternoon to begin my lifelong dream of hunting African game with a muzzleloading rifle. Had a few shots with it and it is spot on at 100 yards. My load is 90gn fffg with a hand cast 450gn Lyman Great Plains projectile. I am starting to get pretty excited.

Don't forget to post pictures here! What ya going to be hunting and what rifle are you taking?

What caliber is the MLer? Also what game do you intend to shoot? Where in Africa are you hunting and did you hire a guide?

Thought about hunting Africa a few times, but never did....too busy hunting the states.

Good luck on your hunt....a chance of a lifetime for most. Keep us posted on your return....Thanks.....Fred

If I recall from your previous posts, hunting Africa is not new to you...just adding a muzzleloader to the picture there is. So I know you'll do very well!

You're livin' the dream man. :thumbsup: Africa is on my bucket list even if just to see it. Stay safe and truly...my very best wishes to you for a great hunt. I'm very much looking forward to the pictures and stories...be sure to get a few pics of what I hear are phenomenal sunsets!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I will do my best to keep the pics & maybe video coming. I am hunting with Crusader Safaris out of Port Elizabeth in the south. I am using my tried and proven Lyman .54 calibre Gpr with fast twist barrel.

Getting Wano powder and caps was no problem for Crusader.

I plan to hunt Nyala kudu, black wildebeest, springbok, reedbuck, warthog, bush pig, hartebeast and a few others. Some will be with bow and others with m/l. Stay tuned...

GOOD HUNTING to you!!!!
(Fwiw, I had planned on going to southern Africa for 3 weeks this fall but "Duckie's" current physical condition has forestalled the trip. = I had planned to try to take a leopard with my XB & perhaps a Cape Buff with my ML Cape Gun. - Oh well, there's always next year.)

Looking forward to your report/photos soon.

BEST WISHES, satx

Have a superb hunt, Kapow! Am looking forward to hearing of your African adventure and photographs of the muzzleloading hunts :hatsoff:

Crusader have an excellent reputation. You'll have a great time with them!

I have been hunting hard on the Umkomaas River in Natal with Ryan Harris of Lew Harris Safaris. I have had a few chances on Nyala hut haven't been able to get the right shot.

This morning on the last day of the hunt I made a good shot on a young Nyala bull and dropped him on the spot. Photos to follow as I am using my phone.

I hunted on that river back in the '80s. Got a pretty good nyala, a bushbuck, impala, zebra and blue duiker. Nice area. I had a young Zulu tracker who could really spot game.

Congrats on the nyala.

You did well! I saw some kudu, warthog, a bushbuck and a lot of impala but mostly I saw lots of Nyala. I missed a couple of shots early then when I saw how small in body they are compared to how they appear and learnt to aim a little lower.

Back