• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

10 gauge for pheasants and squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinRob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 10 gauge sxs. I was wondering if anyone would have a recommended load for hunting squirrel and pheasants with it. Shot would only be about 20 yards. I would love to use it but I don't want to totally ruin the animal with all that gun. Thanks guys.

Never have had a chance to use mine on pheasants or squirrel, but someone on here has reported on using his 10 for pheasants. On his recommendation I tried loading 1 1/4 oz of #6 in mine on top of 80 grains of 2f and I got amazingly smooth patterns. It's a reliable duck killer to 25+ yards from an open choke, so I'd expect the same for pheasants.

Then I tried 90 grains of 1f for the same kind of patterns, and maybe very slightly better. Best part was, the 90 grain 1f charge lets me use the same 90 grain measure to drop 1 1/4 oz of shot. Nice to use the single measure.

The nice thing about muzzleloading is you can regulate how much power you want, even with a 10 gauge.I used my Pedersoli last fall with almost the same load that Brown Bear used, although I use a few grains less powder. I used a card over the powder, followed by a 1/2" 10 ga. felt wad split in half after soaking in melted bore butter, then the shot and then another card. Pretty close to a modern 12 ga.1-1/4 oz. field load, though a bit slower. The 4 pheasants I got didn't notice the difference.

I've had good luck on a few pheasants using 90 gr. FFg and 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz. of #6 shot, Never tried the 10 ga. on squirrels, but had good results on doves with the same load, #8 shot. I used a card wad, lubricated 1/2" cushion wad and an overshot card.

Spence

I have an original 11 bore SXS that I use 80grs. of 2F and 1 1/8 oz shot for clay birds. I use 90grs. of 2F and 1 3/8 oz of shot for hunting. I get good patterns with an 1/8" over powder card, shot and one over shot card. The barrels measure out at 10 gauge and are cylinder bored so I use 10 gauge cards and they work great. Load stays tight yet easy to load. A 10 gauge is good for any game. It is no different then a 12 gauge when loaded with the same shot load.

A 10 ga muzzle loader is pretty much like using a modern 12 ga as far as amount of shot being used.

Hi Rob!

I'd use #8's for the squirrel and #6's for the pheasant. Squirrel load would be 80 gr. of 2f, a .125 OP Card, a lubed 10 ga. wonder-wad, a cushioned shot wad, 1.25 oz. #8 or 1 3/4 oz. #6's. Test pattern density on patterning board, but squirrel load should be just right. For pheasants, adjust as needed, and can use 90 gr. of 2f for slightly harder hits/longer range (30 yards).

Dave

I have a 10ga Peder, and the 10ga really is a misnomer, mines more of an 11ga. Either way the gun can be loaded down to 20ga loadings if you want thats the beauty of it...a bigger gun can always do what a smaller gun can do but a smaller gun can never do what a bigger gun can do :hatsoff: My do all load is 75gr ffg T7, op card, 1/2" lubed fiber wad, 1 1/4oz #6 mag lead, 2 9ga os cards with holes punched in them. Use it in both barrels, small game to pheasants its good out to 20yds with cyl bore and 30-35yds with mod bore.

Thanks guys. The guy I bought it from used F in her. He gave me 4lbs of it so i'll use that atleast until I use it all. I have the #8 lead so im good there. I guess I have to get some #6 and some #4 for turkey. Anyone use copper plated lead? The sell them a little cheaper and smaller amounts. I really dont need 50lbs of it lol. Also do any of you use a shot cup? I have some brown ones for my #2 steel, but what about lead. I have some white ones. are they for lead? Can you use more than 1 1/2 oz of shot? For a turkey load could you put 2-2 3/8 of lead shot in her?

I cant even get the 10ga plastic wads down my bore as its a tight 10ga(11ga). The key with those is to cut em down to the 1 1/2oz length and then slit them how you choose. More shot can be used with less powder but your velocity will suffer. Ive shot nickel plated, copper plated, mag lead, and pure lead and they all pattern well maybe if your a stickler the nickel plated/copper plated will give you a few more pellets in the kill zone but ive heard nickel plating will scratch a chrome lined barrel. I use mag lead personally, usually #6 as i like the pellet count vs larger shot but thats a personal preference deal.

A 10 ga. is OK for phesants {tough bird} but on those "poor little squirrels"?.....Fred

I go for head shots w/ only "one pellet". :grin: Had to replace a tooth because of chomping down on a BB that was missed when cleaning a grouse. 10 gages are nice...had a hammer 10 when living on my Gparents farm in northern Minnesota....shot a lot of "stuff" w/ it.....Fred

Dixons will sell you as little as five pounds of lead shot, all wrapped-up & taped shut, in a brown paper bag. Not cheap, but very handy! And Gregg will ship everything 'cept powder & caps too!

4 pounds of single F will keep you in business for quite some time Rob!

Never used shot cups in my 10 (11ga.)so can't help there.

Hope to see you next week!

Dave

Back