• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD #11 Percussion Cap Maker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Used $55 shipped.

Attachments

• C5333397-C999-4D9B-A059-206D2B635A16.jpeg
    C5333397-C999-4D9B-A059-206D2B635A16.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 7CC06840-1532-4EB1-B290-1977B467CA4A.jpeg
    7CC06840-1532-4EB1-B290-1977B467CA4A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2E2615AC-241F-43CC-94D8-721F6E79F4C0.jpeg
    2E2615AC-241F-43CC-94D8-721F6E79F4C0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
If your question is intended for the masses, and not just Boston Bill, I offer the following.

I have one of these. they work. they are not pretty; they are strangely shaped (star-like.) They need double doses of acetone to keep the dry chemical mixture in place. After some time, they tend to leak some of their mixture. (If you shake a can of store-bought caps, you get jumbled caps. If you shake a tin of these home made caps, you get empty shells and dust in the tin.)

I have found that Hobby Lobby heavier gauge copper or tin sheets work better than soda cans. There is an acquired technique to producing good, consistently shaped caps. I have found the use of a small arbor press makes for more consistent results.

I will use mine on my single shot caplock pistols, not revolvers. I will use them for range shooting, not hunting. They are better than nothing when caps are just plain unavailable, but they just don't compete with RWS caps.

As an aside, I did find it interesting a somewhat satisfying to make my own caps.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
If your question is intended for the masses, and not just Boston Bill, I offer the following.

I have one of these. they work. they are not pretty; they are strangely shaped (star-like.) They need double doses of acetone to keep the dry chemical mixture in place. After some time, they tend to leak some of their mixture. (If you shake a can of store-bought caps, you get jumbled caps. If you shake a tin of these home made caps, you get empty shells and dust in the tin.)

I have found that Hobby Lobby heavier gauge copper or tin sheets work better than soda cans. There is an acquired technique to producing good, consistently shaped caps. I have found the use of a small arbor press makes for more consistent results.

I will use mine on my single shot caplock pistols, not revolvers. I will use them for range shooting, not hunting. They are better than nothing when caps are just plain unavailable, but they just don't compete with RWS caps.

As an aside, I did find it interesting a somewhat satisfying to make my own caps.

ADK Bigfoot

Love the arbor press tip!

ADK Bigfoot

I’ve read that Duco glue mixed with acetone works well securing the primer mix in the cap. Can’t confirm this, still waiting on supplies to show up.

You dont have to use a mixture Toy cap gun ribbons work fine (a ribbon of 1500 is like $10 bucks) , placed insidethe made cap

If you don't happen to have an arbor press, you might try using any drill press with the drill chuck set to evenly press on the top of the punch. If you are concerned about springing the drill press table, support it between the table and base with a section of 2X4 lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back