• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

#11 priming caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey90

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i am having a problem with my renegade 50 cal. precussion not firing. the cap does not go off. this does not happen all the time but it seems it happens alot. this is a new t/c. i think i may have a problem with the caps. any ideas? buy the way i am new to this site.its very informative.thank you kerry

Welcome Kerry. :hatsoff:
Are the caps seated all the way down on the nipple?
Has the gun been "dry fired" much?
The end of the nipple may be flared or mushroomed out a bit preventing proper seating of the cap.

Welcome to the forum Kerry!

As bucktales said, it sounds like the caps may not be seating completely on the nipple. Check the nipple to see if it looks flared or peened over from possible dry firing. It can be taken down a bit with sandpaper if needed. If you don't want to mess with all of that just try a new nipple. If caps still fail to fire there are other things to check as simple as bad caps or as complex as a bad lock spring.

HD

do you use a nipple pick when you wipe the bore even a paper clip can be used to run down the nipple if it does not go off. If your hammer is off the center of the nipple a bit this could cause this problem make sure the lock screw and hammer screw are snug with the proper fitting screwdriver. I have a lyman plains pistol kit that I had to heat and bend the hammer to get it to hit the nipple and cap properly. If you are new to the sport I suggest finding a bp club and see what some see as a problem. I tend to go with the last post as the most likely reason what it does not go off other than bad caps more likely a mushroomed or deformed nipple.

Kerry said:
i am having a problem with my renegade 50 cal. precussion not firing. the cap does not go off. this does not happen all the time but it seems it happens alot. this is a new t/c. i think i may have a problem with the caps.

The best bet would be to try a fresh tin of caps first, the ones you have may have gotten wet without your knowledge.

If the problem continuse with the new caps, then I would start looking at the gun itself for answers.

Does the hammer hit the cap with force?
Does the hammer hit the cap squarely?
Is the nipple tighten down all the way?

Thank you for your suggestions. I just bought some new caps but I think that the hammer may be off a bit. The gun is brand new. The hammer may not be lined up correctly.I am going to the club today to shoot the gun and try the new caps out. Thanks again, Kerry

bucktales said:
Welcome Kerry. :hatsoff:
Are the caps seated all the way down on the nipple?
Has the gun been "dry fired" much?
The end of the nipple may be flared or mushroomed out a bit preventing proper seating of the cap.

That sounds exactly right....
For the record, however, I prefer the musket cap all around.

Kerry: If the hammer is NOT hitting the nipple squarely, then use a grinding bit for a dremel tool to go into the skirt, and grind away the high side of the face of the hammer.

To test if the hammer is hitting squarely, fold over a piece of paper towel, and put it over the top of the nipple. Hold it in place while you cock and fire the hammer. Then lift the hammer off and inspect the paper towel. It should look like you have used a paper punch on the towel, with a nipple size hole, cut completely around the circumference of the nipple, in the toweling. Because paper towels have some cloth fibers in them, there is usually NOT a complete hole in the towel, but you will definitely see the ring of the top of the nipple where it cuts the paper. If you don't see a full ring or cut in the paper, the hammer is not hitting the nipple squarely, and you need to fix that for reliable ignition.

Based on testing lots of percussion locks at my gun club back when I was shooting a percussion lock, I believe most locks have hammers that do not hit squarely on the nipple. The alignment may be correct, side to side, and front to back, but the face of the hammer is rarely squared to the top edge of the nipple. The paper toweling " test " is the fastest and cheapest way to find out about any gun.

Find the high side by putting marking dye, or lampblack, or lipstick on the top edge of a NEW nipple. Then lower the hammer down to transfer the marking agent to the hammer. Grind away where the agent appears on the face of the hammer.

Repeat the procedure until you get a full, wide circle(ring) of agent showing on the face. That indicates that the hammer is NOW striking the nipple squarely.

If you are using the right sized caps for the nipple, and the nipple is in good condition, the caps should all fire reliably, and because the hammer is now hitting the top of the nipple squarely, and the entire circumference of the edge of the nipple is taking the hammer blows, you are less likely to see the nipple being bulged, or peened over on one side or the other. Invest in the Bronze, AMPCO nipple for the gun when you can. They are actually tougher than the steel nipples, and seem to last forever! :thumbsup:

Kerry said:
I am going to the club today to shoot the gun and try the new caps out. Thanks again, Kerry

You can test the caps at home as long as the gun is unloaded.

Simply cap up the nipple, cock and fire, it will make a pop sound as loud as a toy cap gun. There is no harm in doing this because modern caps are not corrosive.

Seems to me a long time ago TC or someone went through what was needed to correct the hammer.
If I remember right you used a nail to show the angle of the nipple and heated the hammer a little and bent it until it hit the nail squarely. I have done this to a few of my TC firearms.
I have had issues with different makes of caps and sometimes you just get lucky and get weak caps.
I have the most fun with my pocket colt and caps as it uses #10 caps and I think I finally switched nipples out so I can use #11 caps. I don't like having to keep different caps for different firearms.

Musketman said: "There is no harm in doing this..."

During my waterproofing tests of percussion caps I had to fire off a number of them at home.

No sooner had the first 5 been fired than I had a upset red head stomping around saying, "The neighbors are going to call the police!", "The Police will arrest you!", "That damn noise is driving me nuts!". "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!". :grin:

Zonie said:

During my waterproofing tests of percussion caps I had to fire off a number of them at home.

No sooner had the first 5 been fired than I had a upset red head stomping around saying, "The neighbors are going to call the police!", "The Police will arrest you!", "That damn noise is driving me nuts!". "STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!". :grin:

I meant no harm to the muzzleloader... :grin:

A clear and obvious SWMBO violation. You should be more careful. :nono: :shake: :yakyak: :rotf:

Zonie said:

The first time my mother pulled that on Dad, he made her go outside and stand on the sidewalk, while he fired off a couple of caps in his basement. She didn't hear a thing. Of course, she could hear it inside the house, but she compromised and asked him to give her a warning before he fired a gun or cap in the basement.

That was our ticket. Dad built a backstop and the three of us shot .22s in the basement at our own "range" before the gunsmoke became too thick to breath and see the target well.

I used to testfire guns and fire caps off in my attached garage. My wife was concerned, like yours, but I had her walk out to the sidewalk and listen. She said she could barely hear anything, and certainly could not tell the difference between the gunshots, and hitting a board with a hammer.

My point is that sometimes common sense works with SWMBO- but not always. Its at least worth trying.

My Guess is that the cap is not fully seated on the nipple. I use CCI 11 magnum caps and they are a tight fit on my hot shot nipples. I took care of the problem by filing the sides of the nipple a little bit. Just dont over do it.

Dont ask me how I know this....but make sure you dont have an expended cap tucked up into the hammer face. This too will cause misfires, the removal of said expended cap eliminating the issue immediately.

Something I've noticed is that the T/C brand factory nipple is shorter than say a Traditions 1/4X28 replacement nipple. This can cause the hammer to not strike the nipple square.

I have had that problem with my CVA Mountain Carbine with a #11 cap stuck in the hammer after firing.

Back