• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12 ga roundball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ham1900

32 Cal.
Reaction score
im sure there is already something out there on this but im curiuos to know what size roundballs to use in my 12 ga sxs. or how do i figure out what size roundball i should use im still fairly new to all this and can you use a nitro card instead of a normal shot card for your shot? ive been doubling my overshot cards up but can you use a nitro card as your overshot card or can you get over shot cards in .050 im curious to know any info would help thanks

I use 0.690" for a loose but sufficient fit with a 0.021" patch or 0.715" for a tight paper cartridge fit. If your sxs has any choke you may need to use whatever gets past the choke.

The "nitro card" is the 1/8" thick over powder card that normally goes between the powder and wad but you can use them anywhere in the load. The over shot is usually 1/32" (0.03125") or 1/40" (0.025"). Use two of the smaller for your 0.050"

thats what ive been doing biut was hopeing maybe there was a solution to haveing to use 2 of them but im wondering if the shot in a sxs will really move after the first shot hence the reason for both over shot cards also how do i know what the diff is in the barrels ive mic'ed them and they are diff but i have no idea what they are to begin with it is a pedersoli 12 ga sxs and the left barrel is tighter than the right if you were standing butt in hand looking down at barrels im basically trying to find a combo for deer season so i can use a barrle for small game and one for when that deer jumps at 20 yds

any place i can go for an answer or do you know anyone that would be able to help i know its all a what if but curiosity kills so id like to atleast have a good starting point

I'm using a .715 ball in my .12ga thats a .735 bore...

The question on that card, I think if anything, people would be worried about donut holes in the pattern possible caused by using that card for an overshot card. :hmm:

OMG!!!!

I can't even imagine a .715 round ball!!!!!!

(outside of a bowling alley)

My .735 bore uses a .015 patch with .715 ball cast of wheelweights.it seems to shoot as well without a lubed 12ga wad as with.

George

First of all, to find out if your shot moves, load both barrels and mark your loading rod with the depth from the muzzle. Shoot one barrel and check the depth of the unfired barrel. You might want to do this several times with both barrels to verify your results. Too, if you shoot light loads for grouse and quail and a heavy load for turkey, do them both.

As for ball size, I'm going to suggest a .690" -.695" ball and whatever thickness patch it takes to be snug in your more open barrel.

You can check your barrels by taking a piece of dowel and building up its diameter with tape and measuring what diameter passes and what doesn't.

Scotland1,
I will try to tell you what I use but they say every gun is somewhat differnt. I think we may have the same Pedersoli SXS 12 Ga. My left bore is .698 .The right bore is .723. I cut my own cards. They are cut from poster board and measure .050 thick and measure .750.

For shot I use 80 gr 2f, two cards , 11/8 oz shot and one card over shot. (I normaly go a little heavyer on shot. With my Irish charger set at 80 gr I also fill the scoop part with shot, so it actualy more than 11/8 oz.

For Ball (Right Barrel) 80 Gr 2f,one card,1/2 inch fiber wad lubed with olive oil, PRB .020 pillow ticking lubed with olive oil .700 ball

I get pretty good results useing those loads . Good Luck with your SXS

Wayne/Al

You miht want to try some tow or wasp nest as overshot/ball material, it has worked as well as the cards for me.

I had a Pedersoli 12 ga. SxS that really measured closer to 14 ga. and I had to use 14 ga. wads in it. Forget what size balls I tried.
My Brown Bess is also (nominally) describes as 12 ga. but takes 11 ga. wads and shoots a .731 ball.
Only way to tell is to measure the bore(s) and try different wads/balls.

Obviously if the left barrel is tighter choked that is the one you want to load up with shot for the small game and use the right barrel for the round ball.

I agree I like the .715 ball if you can load it with a .010 lubed patch in that right barrel. It "the blam".

If not then the .690 round ball.

Both are fairly common and you can get them form places like Ballistic Products.

I use a .690 in mine. I have only taken it out with ball once, and that was bare ball with just cards over the powder and another over the ball, and got consistent 3" groups at 35yds. I'm sure I can improve on that once i figure out what patch it likes. Almost forgot, mine measures .710" at both muzzles and is cylinder bore.

I use .715 with .018 pillow tick in my NAVY ARMS,wonder wad over powder and 1/2-3/4 cushion wad over the ball,when shooting shot I use 2 nitro cards over the powder and a rolled shot cartridge of newspaper ala OHIORAMROD for the shot either 1 1/4oz or 1 7/8oz for turkey.The barrels on this one are pretty well regulated out to 30yrds then the Lt barrel shots to POA out to about 50yrds

I gave the .715 ball patched with a .010 patch a try but didnt have any good groups but you never know untill you give it a try.

One thing I have been thinking about is taking a .715 ball and roughing it with a course file and dipping it in a olive oil/bees wax lube and giving it a try with no patch. I read somewhere that that worked good for someone,forgot where I read it.

I always recomend a new shotgunner read Mr VM Starrs writeing. Should be able to Google his name and find it. Have Fun.

Wayne/Al

One thing I have been thinking about is taking a .715 ball and roughing it with a course file and dipping it in a olive oil/bees wax lube and giving it a try with no patch. I read somewhere that that worked good for someone,forgot where I read it.

That's an old-old technique that some swear by and others swear at. I have never tried. Might sometime just to have an excuse to swear. :haha:

Back