• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

12Ga SXS made in India

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw a SXS today that really looked decent. It is a 12ga shotgun that had stamped on top of barrels Made in India, I saw the name of company or someone that was the manufacture but at that time my back was flaring up so much I didn't take time to write down the name or even do a complete inspection. Over the last few years I have read many reports about guns made in India to the extreme on both Pro's and Con's. I do remember that the Co. name started with the letter "J" and maybe the second was an "A" just don't remember that clearly. One thing that I read today about the India made shotguns was that the quality control in regards maintaining consistent bore diam and they rarely ever match from one to the next. Guy selling the Shotgun was asking $500.00 for it, my thoughts on that price is I could add around $200.00 +/- and buy a new in the box for a Peterosli. Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated.

been there , done that :barf: . Get the pedersoli no questions ask.
But that is just me.

500$ oh heck no! i bought an original percussion SxS for that! get the pedersoli or a used CVA.

I have shot a 12 ga. India for 40 years and would not trade it for anything. Doves, ducks, wild turkeys and numerous clays have fallen to her. However, have also seen another India shotgun with the ribs comimg apart. Think the quality control suffered alot. If the price was cheaper I would take a chance on the India. But for $500.00 you should be able to pick up a nice used Pedersoli or CVA. If you are not stuck on a double, my TC New Englander 12 ga. is one of my favorites and super high quality. Good Luck.

You would have to take a longer look at the gun to make sure it is worth the asking price.

(1) Were there Indian proof marks showing that the gun was meant, as manufactured, to be fired? Indian law is very strict and proofing a "real" firearm is required.

(2) How was the quality of construction?

Other than the military surplus Lee-Enfield rifles made in India by Ishapore Arsenal, Indian-made "real" guns are very hard to find here. What we usually see here are, under Indian law, legally called "imitation guns" and are not intended by the manufacturer or the Indian government to be fired.

See:
http://gunaccessory.com/LAWS/arms_rules.htm

Specifically see Rule #22

Real Indian-made guns are largely confined to India, historically there has been very little market for them elsewhere.

As a final note, please, those who own one or more of the modern Indian reproduction firearms sold widely in the US, Canada and Europe should not look at this post as a slam against said reproductions. I hope that all will take it as I intend, a simple statement of fact - something that has long been missing in these discussions - in assistance to WALKERs210's original post in this thread. If it was manufactured as a real gun and proofed as such in India, the asking price of $500 may not be bad for a scarce and possibly collectible gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a couple of Indian shotguns when Navy Arms was importing them back in the late 70's, one single and one double. The single was super light while the double was excessively heavy but both worked OK. You can expect to have to do some tinkering with locks to get decent trigger pulls but it ain't rocket science. I have never seen any reason to believe Indian guns are unsafe. I have an Indian single 12 gauge at present and yes, I did have to do some work on it but I've had to work on CVA's and Pedersoli's as well. I feel very much safer firing the new Indian built gun than I would with old used and abused Belgian guns. The bad rap Indian firearms get seems to come from folks who've never owned one. But I'm not saying "buy it", 500 does seem a bit steep.

Latest posts

Back