• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

15/16" barrel in .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all, haven't been on here in awhile,,want to get a new barrel for my old Lyman .45 Hawken, thinking about a .50 or .54,,only concern is with 15/16" in a .54,would that be weak,,if it was 1" or larger ,wouldn't hesitate,,want to get one of the drop in barrels from Green Mountain. :hatsoff:

I have a Ed Rayle barrel in a 54 cal with a 15/16 across flats and love it. It is an awesome shooter. 100 grains fff and a patched roundball. Its a real shooter on and off the range. :thumbsup:

I think you'll be fine. I just ordered a TVM Leman with a 15/16ths .54 barrel.

All of Lyman's barrels are 15/16 across the flats no matter the caliber. I have both .50 and .54 and they will handle pretty stout loads. 120 grains 2f with roundball in the .54 and 110 grains 2f in the .50 for roundball. They can shoot 100 grains of 3f and 90 grains of 3f respectively.

HD

dances with coyotes said:
Hello to all, haven't been on here in awhile,,want to get a new barrel for my old Lyman .45 Hawken, thinking about a .50 or .54,,only concern is with 15/16" in a .54,would that be weak,,if it was 1" or larger ,wouldn't hesitate,,want to get one of the drop in barrels from Green Mountain. :hatsoff:

I just got one from GM, I like it, The darn thing wants to hit the target, I have had a few hit the same hole as the one before, This barrel is so nice the patches down range are layin on top of each other, (Now that's a nice barrel), I have found that it likes 85 grains and a loose load, It don't like tight or 90 grains, nor 80,, I am usin .015 patches but want to try .010, I'm now workin on gettin smaller balls to try .527 are on the way, BUT do as Otter said, DON'T USE THERE RAM ROD,, it's too long and will come apart,, [url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/240034/[/url]
This barrle likes the old sayin

Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead.

More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about 54 cal in 15/16. I've got an old lyman that came with both 58 rifle and 62 (20ga) smoothbore 15/16 barrels. Have put very stout loads with 525gr conicals out of the 58 with no problems other than sore shoulder.

I wish GM made 15/16 drop ins in these calibers as the bigger holes in the smaller barrel makes a nice light gun for hunting.

I've contacted lyman and they don't seem to have any old stock of these barrels left, also tried contacting Investarm who manufactured them and got no response.

hobbles said:
dances with coyotes said:

I just got one from GM, I like it, The darn thing wants to hit the target, I have had a few hit the same hole as the one before, This barrel is so nice the patches down range are layin on top of each other, (Now that's a nice barrel), I have found that it likes 85 grains and a loose load, It don't like tight or 90 grains, nor 80,, I am usin .015 patches but want to try .010, I'm now workin on gettin smaller balls to try .527 are on the way, BUT do as Otter said, DON'T USE THERE RAM ROD,, it's too long and will come apart,, [url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/240034/[/url]
This barrle likes the old sayin

Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead.

More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A note on your patch change though: be careful not to get too thin as they will not seal up the rifling and give you gas blow-by and increased fouling.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Last edited by a moderator:
Back