• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

15 days until Kansas Whitetail ML season!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a few spots on public land scouted and a buddy's coming by tomorrow with his tractor to cut a couple shooting lanes through the brush in the back part of my pasture. One of my public land spots is a consistent spot for meat does and the other I've taken a couple of good bucks from. The third is a spot recommended by a warden, says he's seen a couple trophy bucks there and it's an area with zero hunting pressure in the early season.

Tags are bought, checking the rifle's zero this week and the week off work approved. Only thing I'm concerned about is getting the meat into the locker before it spoils in 80 degree temps. My local locker screwed me over last year during rifle season and the next locker processing deer early is an hour's drive out.

Good luck. Sounds like you've done your scouting and all. Is skinning and quartering off the table? A few game mags and several 2 liter pop bottles of frozen water will help better than bagged ice. Lemon juice and black pepper in a spray bottle will keep the flies off the meat if you can't skin them out on the spot. Oh and the biggest cooler you can get.

Good luck. Sounds like you've done your scouting and all. Is skinning and quartering off the table? A few game mags and several 2 liter pop bottles of frozen water will help better than bagged ice. Lemon juice and black pepper in a spray bottle will keep the flies off the meat if you can't skin them out on the spot. Oh and the biggest cooler you can get.

Depends on which locker plant I can get to first and if they don't squirrel out on me.

I prefer to take to the lockers already gutted and skinned, that way they go straight to hang in the cooler. The locker nearest me can do is if:
a. They answered their phone after hours like they said they do and
b. They don't tell you they're out of locker space and to bring it back in 2 days, like they told me last year.

The other locker 50 miles away is a 24/7 operation, but if skin it it'll remain on the cooler floor until they hang it, contaminating meat. All the other lockers in the area either won't process deer or want you to bring it all in deboned, meaning you do 90% of their work for them.

Worst case scenario is I cut it up and grind myself. I've done it before and have everything to do it with but really don't want to.

Depends on which locker plant I can get to first and if they don't squirrel out on me.

I prefer to take to the lockers already gutted and skinned, that way they go straight to hang in the cooler. The locker nearest me can do is if:
b. They don't tell you they're out of locker space and to bring it back in 2 days, like they told me last year.

The other locker 50 miles away is a 24/7 operation, but if skin it it'll remain on the cooler floor until they hang it, contaminating meat. All the other lockers in the area either won't process deer or want you to bring it all in deboned, meaning you do 90% of their work for them.

Worst case scenario is I cut it up and grind myself. I've done it before and have everything to do it with but really don't want to.
The walk-in coolers are nice. But if they are going to leave it on the floor, that's a game changer for me, especially if it's warmer weather. I take mine to a locker when I go home to hunt. We are distant relatives. They usually have it cut, wrapped and frozen for me for my return trip.

I have always felt like processing the meat was part of the fun of a successful hunt. Have never taken an animal to a locker including beef, hogs, goats, lambs, or wild game. I enjoy The butchering process and making sausages, snack sticks, jerky, steaks, burger, etc. if I do it myself I know I am getting my own meat back and I know it is clean and handled properly throughout the entire process. I guess I’m just weird that way.

I have always felt like processing the meat was part of the fun of a successful hunt. Have never taken an animal to a locker including beef, hogs, goats, lambs, or wild game. I enjoy The butchering process and making sausages, snack sticks, jerky, steaks, burger, etc. if I do it myself I know I am getting my own meat back and I know it is clean and handled properly throughout the entire process. I guess I’m just weird that way.
I have. Do like to. But up until recently, didn't have the time. Retired now. I'd like to learn how to make summer sausage.

Don’t be too worried about the temp. Once gutted, that meat has a little while before you need to get concerned about spoilage.

I’ll miss the opener for the first time in 14 years as I’ll be hunting in Colorado. I’m hoping the temps cool off a touch for some last minute movement by the time I get back. Could use the rain, too

Back