• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1795 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ben,

Congratulations to you and your son for serving.

No one made a factory copy of the 1795 Springfield until Pedersoli began doing it.

However, since the Navy Arms "Charleville" is a copy of the French Musket that Springfield chose to copy for the Model 1795/first U.S. Infantry Musket made there, that would be a second choice, though you would want to get ride of the "Charleville" engraved on the side of the Lock Plate. Below is a link showing how to "de-farb" or modify the Navy Arms musket to better represent an M1795.

Pedersoli/Navy Arms 1766 Charleville/M1795 Springfield (lodgewood.com)

Gus

Navy Arms‘s 1808 Musket is just their Charleville by Miroku customized. The production run on those was short due to a lack of demand. These were excellent copies, parts for those guns were used to restore originals. Ever since Miroku stopped production the mystery of who got the molds and patterns was never solved, they were bought by either Navy Arms or Dixie Gun Works and never applied to production due to costs.

The Pedersoli 1795 is not the most accurate copy but can be deferred to a more historical copy by 1. Slimming down the top of the breech slightly, 2. Carving down the lock pannels to more customary hand carved panels, 3. Reshaping the butt stock to a longer rail comb and 4. Removing the pedersoli markings.

What can’t be changed, 1. The lock on a 1795 was not a thick and heavy as the pedersoli version, the flintcock had less detail and the frizzen spring covered the forward lock bolt similar to a Charleville, you could change out the flintcock and frizzen spring however I don’t feel that its worth it, and not all 1795’s looked ’alike’ in a sense, some had frizzen springs that were shorter with a pointed final.

The trigger guard is a one piece, pedersoli’s is a two peice guard that is riveted together, this is probably due to a limitation of their equipment.

The Bands were not as robust and thick, bands were thinner and the ramrod spring wasn’t pinned down to the stock, it was bolted to the underside of the barrel to a circular lug.

This discussion is nearly a year old, but I thought some of you might be interested in my M1795 Harpers Ferry repro. It was made from a Miroku M1863 Charleville. Its not perect, but I'm pretty happy with it.
20211210_102245_copy_1008x421.jpg
20211210_101820_copy_1008x567.jpg
20211210_101831_copy_796x314.jpg

This discussion is nearly a year old, but I thought some of you might be interested in my M1795 Harpers Ferry repro. It was made from a Miroku M1863 Charleville. Its not perect, but I'm pretty happy with it.View attachment 108798View attachment 108799View attachment 108800
Very nice. I have been debating on getting one of those or another Civil War rifle musket for for my next purchase.

Very nice. I have been debating on whether to buy a 1795 Springfield or another Civil War Rifle Musket for my next purchase.

One thing I've noted on this musket is the rather high comb. It makes sighting level with the barrel difficult. I really need to scrunch my cheek down low on the stock. Otherwise it tends to shoot high. Perhaps this was intentional considering the volley fire tactics of the period. This is evident when shown next to a Brown Bess. The Bess puts the eye at barrel level perfectly.
20211212_065245.jpg

Another option is to purchase a 1795 Springfield parts set from the Rifle Shoppe. They have several variations of the 1795 available.
This is not for everyone. It will require a considerable investment of time to receive and build, and requires skill and experience to complete. But if you see it through to the end, you end up with a shootable replica as close to an original as you can get.

Keep in mind that your son’s first enlistment may be up before you get ALL your parts from TRS . . . .

Actually, if they build the lock it will likely take longer than four weeks. Even if they don’t build the lock, it may take awhile if they don’t have the parts in stock. I just ordered a parts set for an 1805 Harpers Ferry pistol. They said it would take at least six months to have the lock assembled. So I ordered the set with just the lock castings. Even at that, they said they would need at least two weeks to make the barrel and stock. The other parts were in stock.
Though I am an enthusiastic and satisfied customer of TRS products, you must remember that you are not likely to get your parts immediately. You often must wait, and plan accordingly. My advice is to call them and discuss when and what they can deliver. Just my advice...
[/QUOTE]
Tell them you will not accept an incomplete parts set. It’s all or nothing.

I agree about telling the Rifle Shoppe not to ship your parts till they’re all available. I’ve always ordered complete “kits” and told them to ship all when ready. It may mean that I’ve waited longer, but I want to have all the parts in hand.
I’ve been very happy with my TRS “kits”. But I always plan ahead in ordering them because I know it will be a while before I have them in hand.

I found an Indian-made 1777 Dragoon myself, but don't see any unit that uses that type of rifle, except for French artillery/cavalry.

I recommend starting with the book U.S. Military Flintlock Muskets and Their Bayonets, Vol. 1 (1790 - 1815). It will feature many of the early muskets of the U.S. military and provide you with some ideas as to what you might want to see in a reproduction. No reproduction will be dead perfect to what you see in the book, but some will be closer than others, and you need to decide how close is good enough for you. A custom-made musket with Rifle Shoppe parts will be very close, but quite expensive and slow to be completed. A Pedersoli or Navy Arms is a faster purchase and cheaper than a custom, but it will sacrifice certain details, and you may end up defarbing to bring some details back to what you want. But it is an off-the-shelf type solution. It's a question of how far into the weeds you want to go, versus off-the-shelf and go shoot type fun.

I have a Mirokou Brown Bess, and it's certainly a "in the spirit of the Brown Bess" type fun shooter, but it's not even close to the quality of the hand-built rifles and fowlers I own. There are several details that aren't right on it, and it's more a fun "in the spirit" type plinker thing.

This discussion is nearly a year old, but I thought some of you might be interested in my M1795 Harpers Ferry repro. It was made from a Miroku M1863 Charleville. Its not perect, but I'm pretty happy with it.View attachment 108798View attachment 108799View attachment 108800
So, this post is a year old, but I’m looking for a 1795 Springfield (or around there) because I too was in the Army infantry for 6 years. I’m looking for a piece to hang on the wall. Did you ever sell this?

So, this post is a year old, but I’m looking for a 1795 Springfield (or around there) because I too was in the Army infantry for 6 years. I’m looking for a piece to hang on the wall. Did you ever sell this?
Loyalist Arms. It's made in India but there's nothing wrong with it. Loyalist Arms is probably the best you can get as they go over each musket to make sure it functions properly sans firing it. You have to drill the touch hole but that's not hard, lots of help here and video how-tos on the web.

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/springfield1795.html

You shouldn't have to drill the touch hole on a Loyalist Arms Musket. That should be done before shipping. The lock may be shipped separately to avoid shipping of a functioning firearm. It will be a functioning firearm when the lock is installed.

You shouldn't have to drill the touch hole on a Loyalist Arms Musket. That should be done before shipping. The lock may be shipped separately to avoid shipping of a functioning firearm. It will be a functioning firearm when the lock is installed.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction. :thumb:

Back