• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

17th and 18th century books?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bark-eater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can purchase reprints of 17th and 18th books and pamphlets? I figure if folks is literate, they might carry a book around...

If you gather up some titles you think you may wish to read you can try searching them on archive.org
It's free. Quality isn't always great, but at least you can access them. They are scans of books, pamphlets, articles, often of library microfilm copies of those publications. I believe it accesses libraries all over at least the US to include the library of congress (there was a time when our elected officials could and did actually read).

The library of Congress is a great suggestion. You might find something really fascinating. It’s past the time period for the forum, but I once found a treasure trove of photos and maps from the Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa.

The Townsends site (that 18th century cook on YouTube) also has a plethora of books, mainly period-correct cooking. Some strange but delicious recipes in there. Give his "coffee eggs" a try if you're really curious.

Anyone know where I can purchase reprints of 17th and 18th books and pamphlets? I figure if folks is literate, they might carry a book around...
You can find some great reproductions for cheap from Kings Arms Press or From Common Hands Studio. You can always check out Etsy or ebay as well, and larger sites such as townsends do sell the books, but at a considerable markup. Depends what you’re looking for, but kings arms and common hands have alot of excellent options!

Thanks for the suggestions, I found another "book Seller" with some fun titles.

https://tccunha.ca/collections/historical-texts

This ones pricy, but maybe priceless

20200419_092430_1024x1024@2x.jpg

This ones comparatively a bargain:
il_fullxfull.1822053913_qaxw_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Mrs Coot has a very good repro Bible. She got it from a guy that specialized in them. Try a search & he may come up. Back "in the day", if you had one book, it was likely a Bible. The well to do frequently had more to choose from.

Back